avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Have decided to go with SS clear coat braided hose from BONACO to run from the fitting on the bottom of my 9A fuselage to the caliper. My understanding is that I would request #3 hose. Which fittings? 36"? Anyone have photos of their installation on a 9A or 7A?

Peter K
9A QB

I haven't gotten that far yet, but I do think you'll want -4 hoses. I believe the only place the -3 hose is used is on the rudder pedals. Double check with someone else, though.

Update?

Any updated info on this from either of you guys? I just measured my 9A and it looks like 32 to 34" lines would work from the fuselage to the caliper (depends on whether the size includes the fitting or not). I'm also assuming that with these flexible lines there is no need for the big loop as shown on the plans. Fittings shoule be -4.

greg

Brake lines

I know Bonaco has shipped some of these already, from the bottom of the fuselage down the gear leg to the brake calipers. From what I've heard, they're all slightly different so far, based on builder's preference. Some guys like to loop, some don't. Personally, I don't see a reason for the loop.

Anyone here install these yet without a loop?

I know Bonaco has shipped some of these already, from the bottom of the fuselage down the gear leg to the brake calipers. From what I've heard, they're all slightly different so far, based on builder's preference. Some guys like to loop, some don't. Personally, I don't see a reason for the loop.

Anyone here install these yet without a loop?

I made my own -4 teflon braided brake lines and did not include a loop. The lines just make a gentle curve from the gear leg to the caliper. I cut slits in two-inch lengths of automotive fuel hose so they could be slipped over the lines and zip tied to the gear legs in a couple of places.

Make sure you leave enough slack in the hose to allow you to remove the caliper from the mounting pins.

Last edited:
The lines I use are 1/8 inch SS with -4 ends and I just have them made locally, I use two different shops and one requires that I tell them its for a race car or something else but not for an airplane, some shops are funny that way, so be careful what you tell them until after you get your hose.

Photo of Bonaco Lines

I just finished putting my Bonaco brake lines in. I also built up the lower part of the rudder pedals. Not sure I like the rudder build up yet, but it makes my foot hit the rudder before the brake. I also have springs installed to help reset the brakes after they have been pressed.

Although not a -9, on my -10 I used weedwhacker line to make the run and see how long I needed it. I included the loop, only not under the gear leg for the same reason Sam indicated, makes it easier to remove the caliper. I wrapped friction tape around the gear legs and used large zip ties to secure them to the legs.

Mine are 36", -3 line with chaff covering, a -4 nut on the fuselage side, a -3 nut on the caliper. Call Brett at Bonaco....he has made these lines for a bunch of RV's, is aware of our aircraft and their customer support is 110 percent. I had an estimate in an hour and they were on my work bench the next day...very high quality product from those guys at bonaco. He also monitors the list.

I went with -4 premade SS lines from Pegasus Auto Racing. They were 32" long with a 90-degree bend. They fit really well and were $26 each.

I just retrofitted a set of Bonaco lines on my RV-7. From the firewall to the calipers, Brett recommended (and it fit) -3 line with -4 fittings.

I cut slits in two-inch lengths of automotive fuel hose so they could be slipped over the lines and zip tied to the gear legs in a couple of places.

I did something similar but used polyethylene tubing the full length of the gear leg. If you run the line through the tubing before attaching the end you won't have to split the tubing. Also allows the brake line to move up and down without rubbing on the gear leg. Also can be glassed over if you are using the gear leg dampers.