Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
So I am working on the ailerons for an RV-14. Since I was not sure how good I would do at partially setting rivets with back riveting, I decided to squeeze the trailing edge on the first aileron up to the point where I could not squeeze because of the angle. I then finished off the rivets by back riveting them.

On the second aileron I decided to fully set the rivets with a squeezer. I decided to use an extra piece of the VA-140 (trailing edge extrusion) to squeeze the rivets fully. I deburred the VA-140, then clamped it in place in the opposite direction to the one in the aileron. This led to the sides being parallel and the VA-140 being used a "squeezer" spacer. You have to make sure that the machine head is NOT lined up with one of the holes in the VA-140 prior to squeezing.

Here is a picture of the VA-140 clamped in place with the wide end towards the leading edge.

here is the squeezer in place to squeeze.

All the rivets are flush and fully squeezed.

Does this make sense?
Has anyone ever tried this?
Is there some flaw in this process?

Thanks
Ken

Great idea Ken! If it work well then it makes as much sense as any other technique. I may have to try this when I get to my ailerons.