aeropunk

I'm shopping around for tools ala carte, rather than buying a prepackaged starter kit, and have a few quick questions about rivet squeezer set sizes. My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Van's tool list recommends the following:

• 1/8" Universal Cupped Set
  • 3/16" Universal Cupped Set
  • Flat Set 1/2" x 1/8" ** (**2 required)
  • Flat Set 3/8" x 1/8"
Different vendors have different naming conventions, so my questions are:

(1) Regarding the Flat/Flush Sets, is my assumption correct that this is what Van's list means?

• Face Diameter: 1/2" x Length: 1/8" (**2 required)
  • Face Diameter: 3/8" x Length: 1/8"
(2) Regarding the Cupped Sets, what length am I looking for?

1/8", 1/4", 3/8", etc.​

(3) Why do I need two different face diameters for the flush sets?

A 3/8" flat plate will mash a shop head as well as a 4/8" plate right?​

(4) Finally, why is the set length important at all?

Does it just have to do with the squeezer's "gap" and how much I can adjust the ram?​

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Rivet Squeezer sets

1) Yes
2) I just have cupped sets for the different rivet sizes, any variation in length needed is done with the flat set.
3) The larger face makes it easier to stay on the rivet and to not deform the surface. The smaller face gets into tight quarters.
4)Yes, and to clear flanges when riveting on the "web" portion of parts

The different sizes come in handy at different times to reach around or to clear something. Also cuts down on the range of adjustments needed with the squeezer.

Do yourself a favor and just buy a set like this up front and you will be happy all your building days.

And if you want the ultimate in luxury tools to build an RV it would be these two pieces of equipment:

859.jpg

619.jpg

These two alone will take hundreds of hours off the build, save gallons of sweat and give you much joy during your build....

Last edited: