cjensen

Well Known Member
Anybody near their airplane that can give me an approximate square footage the cowl? Getting ready to order some paint...:cool:

Anybody near their airplane that can give me an approximate square footage the cowl? Getting ready to order some paint...:cool:

I'll take a stab and say about 30 square feet, give or take. I drew up a solid model of a cowling for a friend, using a CAD program (SolidWorks). Not an RV, but similar. It wound up at 27-ish. Hence my guesstimate above.

Ordering paint.

Chad,
I would be generous with the amount of paint you buy. I have never had paint actually cover the square footage they say it will, ever. Now, keep in mind I am not a professional painter, you knew that, and that paint systems vary from one manufacturer to anther, you knew that too. But about the last thing you want to happen is to run out of paint when you are almost finished. That sucks!! Order an extra quart or something. Advice worth exactly what you paid, your milage may vary, etc...

Ben

Yeah...I just wanted to get an idea of what it's going to cost. I'll get over to my hangar in the next few days to get a good measurement. I think I'll just take square measurements for the sides, top, bottom, and front. That should over estimate what I need.

I talked to Jason at Stewart Systems yesterday, and he said their paint system averages 1oz for 3sq ft.

judging from the pain in my arms

after sanding and finishing the cowl it has to be around 300 sq. ft.

Randy