Here's a heads up to anyone using the Sprayfine paint system.

I begain painting my RV7A last week, spraying every day with random results - mostly bad - until now. It's not that the spraygun didn't work at all. It was just inconsistent... sometimes working great and other times producing an uneven spray pattern that I attributed to my poor painting technique and/or variances in the paint viscosity.

I finally figured out that there's an error in the diagram on page 7 of the user manual. The Spring Plate is shown in reverse.

There are 2 bearings on the Air Cap that aren't shown in the diagram. When I followed the diagram on Page 7 and installed the Spring Plate with the bumps facing forward, it didn't seat correctly with the Air Cap.

After a week of blotchy painting I'm now getting a consistent good mist with the Spring Plate mounted reverse to how it's shown in the diagram.

I informed the manufacturer of my findings and received these responses:

"Thanks, I am aware of that error. With the spring plate installed backwards, the gun will not operate properly. Most people ignore the diagram thankfully."

"The gun is assembled properly when shipped. "

When taking apart the gun for the first time, the spring ejects the plate before it is possible to determine which direction it was facing when shipped from the factory. So the only guide that the customer has for assembly is the exploded diagram.

It's working great now but only because I wasted coutless hours before "thinking outside the box". I wonder how many customers assembled the gun as per instructions and like me thought that the gun was a piece of **** and just gave up on the system.