L.Adamson

Well Known Member
Today, at the finish of a two day cross -country; my wife placed her headset on top of the SPOT satellite tracker, which was still activated. Seems the headset accidently pushed the 911 button.

Within about two minutes, my cell phone was ringing with someone from SPOT's "emergency assistance". I assured them that we were okay; as well as finding the headsets resting upon the 911 button.

As with a previous poster, and his test out in the middle of a desert with his truck & SPOT; I was more than pleased! This system does work! And I think it's worth every penny!

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Sounds like something I would do but thanks for posting this. I use my SPot on every flight but it is good to know it works as advertised.

Other than size what is the benefit of the new version?
They claim:
- improved GPS chipset so it doesn't loose fix as often as the old one did
- improved transmitting antenna so more packets reach the satellite (mine, old one, still never reached 100% for any trip)
- small size and availability in gray color

I <3 my SPOT. Great for solo motorcycle trips, GA flying, backpacking, etc. I tote it around a lot more than I thought I would, though thankfully I haven't had to use it yet, except to say OK to my folks.

More buttons. The old one combined the tracking/OK message function onto one button, requiring you to turn off the unit to change from one to the other.

erich