MSFT-1

Well Known Member
Here is a press release a friend sent me. Thought others might find this interesting.

------------------

The SPOT Satellite Messenger is getting some new competition from personal locator beacons (PLBs). These emergency devices utilize the Cospas-Sarsat satellite system designed to aid in search and rescue missions. The advantage SPOT has enjoyed, is the ability to send non-distress signals. Today, Cobham Life Support-ACR Products announced a new service that will take advantage of PLB?s self-test function to send non-distress messages via text and email.
While PLBs are more expensive than the SPOT Satellite Messenger, this newly-leveraged functionality will be priced at $39.95 to $59.95 per year, significantly lower than SPOT?s $99.99 basic plan. Another differentiating factor is that the PLB can continue to be used for emergency extraction, even if the subscription plan expires. These advantages may help drive sales volume, allowing further reductions in unit costs.
The extent to which messages can be customized is unclear. For the most advanced functionality, the ACR PLB 350C (pictured) is required. The news release cites ?the added features of multiple text and e-mail messaging, trip planning, and GPS test location.?
SPOT recently unveiled a partnership with DeLorme, whose PN-60w will allow custom messages to be composed in the field. However, SPOT has flubbed the introduction of their second-generation stand-alone device, having to recall it shortly after launch. According to comments on this site, the situation has yet to be resolved.
Here?s the full news release from today?s announcement:
Cobham Life Support-ACR Products today announced the launch of a new subscription-based satellite self test service, 406Link.com, now available to current and new owners of 406 MHz Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs) and Emergency Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRBs).
Available in two service plans, 406Link.com now gives thousands of owners of 406 MHz emergency beacons the ability to send non-distress messages for the first time via text/e-mail to family and friends, letting them know that all is OK.
Priced affordably from just $39.99 (annual subscription) subscribers to the 406Link.com service, for example, will have access to ACR?s unique thru-the-system self-test application for PLBs and EPIRBs, which ensures the beacon is performing properly via transmission and satellite confirmation, ultimately sending a text and e-mail message to the beacon?s owner.
The 406Link.com Beacon Management program, applicable to all PLBs and EPIRBs that have an external antenna, also includes battery replacement reminders, self-test and activation history, providing trip plans to family and friends and account management.
Joseph Mentz, General Manager for Cobham Life Support?s ACR Products line (formerly ACR Electronics Inc.), a Fort Lauderdale-based global safety and survival technologies company said: "Cobham manufactures the most reliable and robust satellite detectible emergency devices in the world and has products that can contact search and rescue forces in a matter of minutes and through onboard GPS can accurately pinpoint location up to 100 meters. We can now provide a non-emergency, unique web-based solution that gives friends and family the peace of mind that comes with knowing the sender is OK."
An upgraded service, 406Link Plus, will provide users with the self-test application system described above, plus the added features of multiple text and e-mail messaging, trip planning, and GPS test location (must have the ACR PLB 350C (AquaLink/AquaLink View or SARLink/SARLink View) to use this function). The upgraded 406Link.com plan is priced at $59.99 (annual subscription).
The 406Link.com coverage includes North and South American land masses and most of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans including Hawaii, allowing both beacon owners on land as well as those at sea to use the service. Unlike cell phones and two-way radios, the system utilizes two geosynchronous GEOSAR satellites to provide dependable coverage.
With over 53 years of ACR ingenuity and engineering built-in as standard features, all ACR PLBs and EPIRBs use the same reliable signalling technology that has saved nearly 27,000 lives worldwide since 1982.

Interesting. I do wonder what the impact is to the battery for repeated use such as may be required to establish a usable track. Replacement batteries may be pricey. Consider that along with the apparent need to manually send a signal and the comparison to Spot may have significant differences.

That's interesting.. I was thinking Garmin should incorporate this into their portable units

That's interesting.. I was thinking Garmin should incorporate this into their portable units

gosh Brian, I totally agree, I have been wondering why SOMEONE hasnt built a handheld GPS with all of the SPOT features included. It seems like a no-brainer to me and the technology is already is place to make it happen...I would buy one in a second. I would like to be a design engineer working for Garmin...or have the capital to develop my own...since I am a design engineer.

gosh Brian, I totally agree, I have been wondering why SOMEONE hasnt built a handheld GPS with all of the SPOT features included. It seems like a no-brainer to me and the technology is already is place to make it happen...I would buy one in a second. I would like to be a design engineer working for Garmin...or have the capital to develop my own...since I am a design engineer.

Spot and DeLorme recently announced an all-in-one unit. It will supposedly be a handheld GPS (hiking type, I think) with SPOT built-in. It will have the ability to type in a message to be sent out.

By the way, I heard just a few days ago that the 2nd generation SPOT devices are finally shipping again. I called SPOT and they said their SPOT-1 upgrade program will be announced "soon".