UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - I'm getting ready to order my tail, but want to take a two day intro to building class first. I am trying to decide between the EAA SportAir class at OshKosh, and the class at Grov-Air in Indinapolis. I am about half way between the two, so driving distance is about the same. The cost is also very close.

Does any one have any advice as to which would be the more helpful class for a new builder?

Thanks,
UnPossible

I went to Troy at Grov-air in Indy, great experience. He also builder assisted with me for my first 35 hours or so on the emp. Also a great experience. I'm sure Sport Air is great too but I have 1st hand experience with Troy and nothing but good things to say. Might not hurt to try him as he's always available to help with ANY part of your project at any time whether just to get past a problem or to move things along at a faster pace. Start that relationship with the build class and then you'll always have him as a resource later.

WIth Grov-Air, you'll have a smaller class and more personal attention. Another advantage is that Troy has tools from all the popular vendors. Don't buy until you take the class, then you can play with all the different models/types of guns/squeezers/etc and decide which ones you like.

Also, Troy is working on building his second RV. His Dad has also built a couple nice looking RVs as well. It will be a hit or miss if the Sport Air instructor will have a strong RV background.

Last edited:
Troy Grover

I went to Troy's class in November 07. Highly recommended! I also used that weekend to help decide on which tool kit to buy (Planetools.com) There are other RV projects in his shop to look at also. I have nothing to compare to, but certainly got my money's worth at Grov-air! He is a very knowledgeable A&P with commercial experience as well as RV experience. Lots of good tips to help your build along. Your Spouse/building partner can attend with you for a small addtional fee. You learn how to rivet together.

Last edited:
Build Assist

I am planning on buying an RV-12 and wonder what kind of "training " or "builder assistance programs" you gentlemen might recommend, if any. BTW, I'm in Sarasota, FL. You think I'll need training to assemble the RV-12? :confused:

Sportair

I can only speak for the Sportair workshop my wife and I attended a couple weeks ago. It was the RV construction workshop. Dan Checkoway was the instructor. While my tentative plan is still to build an RV-12... this class gave me a lot of knowledge on the overall process and basics of sheet metal working. Seeing and understanding the plans, interpreting that into what we were supposed to do, and then the mechanics of making it all happen were rewarding lessons. Yes, you learn mostly about driven rivets... but you do get to install a few pulled rivets too.

Even more rewarding was the fact that my wife attended and ENJOYED it. She actually had fun with the whole process... and looks forward to building a plane. She isn't intimidated by bucking rivets (even though she has a smiley to show off on her side of the project!) I HIGHLY recommend getting the CFO involved on the ground floor of your project.

While it wasn't cheap to pay for both of us to attend - I consider it money well spent. I read about a lot of folks who get their kits... and then it is the deer in the headlights as you are overwhelmed with that "what have I gotten into" feeling. I think any workshop you can get to will give you at least the knowledge to start with confidence. I am really glad I did and look forward to getting started.

DJ

Troy is the best.

I am very fortunate to live in the same community as Troy and Andrea. I met Troy through our local EAA chapter and instantly realized I wanted to build an RV due to his enthusiasm and love for experimental airplanes. I attended his very first workshop after I obtained my A&P and it's been a whirlwind ever since. Our RV-9A is under construction and Troy has helped on several occasions with either opinions or actual hands on assistance. It's nice to have his shop close by also. It's a great place to hang out. You cannot go wrong attending his class.