I will be attending the sportair RV assembly workshop in Oshkosh next weekend (May 6 - 7) and was wondering if anyone else on the forums will be there. One more step on the path to starting my project.

I will not be there

I will not be there but I attended such a workshop in a different venue before I picked up my kit at the facility in Oregon. Without a doubt one of the smartest moves I made. The participants all have a similar interest so you make friends very quickly. The most important thing is the opportunity to get hands on experience while learning the basic tools & techniques in a controlled environment. It was amazing to me that such a small investment will give you the skills and confidence necessary to build a quality airplane. Have a good time - what follows will be even better.

Bob Axsom

Make sure you have dinner at "Kodiak Jack's" across Highway 41 near Walmart. The workshop will be fun and very helpful. Enjoy!!

Roberta

Which workshop are you taking? I took the sheet metal workshop in Lakeland back in February. The instructors are excellent. You will get plenty of hands on experience.

Yes, I will be attending at OSH. Test flew at Sun-N-Fun. Inspired, but need to learn more.
TS

I second the Kodiak Jack?s recommendation. Also " The Roxy" down town is phenomenal.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Thanks for the restaurant tips, at least I know I won?t starve. Aside from the RV build workshop I am also looking forward to getting some pictures in the museum without the Oshkosh air show crowd around. T.S. I look forward to meeting you this weekend.

The Sportair workshop was a good experience. Ken Scott (from Van's) was the instructor. He took us through all the basics, gave us a little of Van's lore, then set us loose in the shop. The facilities at Osh are very nice, plenty of space and light. I got to meet a few prospective builders and learned enough to know that I can knock together the tail kit without a problem. Ken thought everything looked airworthy but I know I can do much better with only a little more practice. We worked in teams of two and we were going at a much faster pace than we needed to finish in the two days. Take you time, READ AHEAD, and you can build this thing. There were some extra practice kits so I got one to do at home with the family to bring them up to speed and gauge how much support I can expect before I dive in. Did not eat at Kodiak Jack's, the line was over an hour. The museum is great when the air show crowd is not there, quiet, no lines. The main shop is building a full scale spaceship one with parts pulled from the original molds. All in all a great time, highly recommended.

ss111ty.jpg

Last edited: