RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
Hey Guys,
I am using a splitter to split the signal from the VOR antenna into a VOR and GS signal. Where did you guys put the splitter? I thought about behind the panel to keep from from running two relatively long antenna leads but I'm out of space. I thought about on the gear tower somewhere. My floors are removeable, so I could put the splittter under the floor and run two leads from there to the panel. What do you guys think? Got pictures?

Thanks,
Jerry

Behind the panel...

Jerry,

My splitter is mounted right on top of my GNS 430 rack. That makes the runs from the splitter to the unit very short indeed! The splitter is pretty small - I'm not sure I understand how you don't have room for it back there. :confused:

Paul

Paul,
That's an excellent idea! Do you have any pics? What I meant is that I don't have any room on the baggage bulkhead behind the panel. I have a lot of stuff back there. It's well organized but it's a lot off stuff... gyro filter, encoder, B&C LR3, three fuse blocks, Approach Systems hub, 4 ch dimmer, etc. I also have an access door that I would like to refrain putting anything on. So far so good.

Thanks,
Jerry

VOR/ GS Splitter

I fixed to the outside side (diagonal brace) of the avionics rack(GNS430/ SL40/GTX327/GMA340) The leads to the GNS are about 12 in long.

Doesn't take any useful space or interfere with other gear in a pretty congested area

John Moody
Melbourne

RV8Squaz said:
Paul,
That's an excellent idea! Do you have any pics? What I meant is that I don't have any room on the baggage bulkhead behind the panel. I have a lot of stuff back there. It's well organized but it's a lot off stuff... gyro filter, encoder, B&C LR3, three fuse blocks, Approach Systems hub, 4 ch dimmer, etc. I also have an access door that I would like to refrain putting anything on. So far so good.

Thanks,
Jerry
Ahhhh - I understand now Jerry - my bulkhead was pretty much full up with relays as well! I checked my pictures, and don't have one - it was a very late addition (when you're just trying to get things done, and the heck with the camera!)...but you just find a convenient spot and screw it in - John's diagonal brace idea sounds perfect!

Paul

Hello Paul,
I ended up doing exactly as you did, right on top of the 430. Thanks to you and John!

Jerry