Dbro172

Well Known Member
I ran short on some autopilot wiring to my roll servo and need to splice on about 5 feet of two conductor shielded wire. Suggestions for a good splice? DSUB, solder, solder sleeve???

Solder sleeves work great and while a little pricey on a per sleeve basis, they are still quite cheap and easy to use. That being said, if you dont want to wait, you can always solder the shielding leads together, but it will be more susceptible to breaking from being ridged from the soldering.

Crimp splices

I'm a big fan of crimp connections ... soldering makes unnecessary stress risers where the solder ends in the wires. Crimping is way better.

If you don't need to take apart the spice, I'd use two MIL-S-81824/1 crimp butt splices with their heat shrink waterproofing/strain relief, with solder sleeves to connect to the shield. If you can tie the shield together with a short piece of wire (~2in or less), you likely don't have to carry the full shield all the way across (though some braid would do nicely to produce a good, full shield) A nice piece of translucent heat shrink over the whole deal, extending a few inches onto the wires would close out the job.

I would crimp a pair of pin and socket D sub pins on the wires, insert in a pair of shrink tubes, shrink, slide 3" of overbraid over the splice (1" jacket stripped on each cable) and seal the deal with 4" of shrink tube over the braid. Fast, cheap, and reliable.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS