ccsmith51

Well Known Member
I have a few spinning rivnut's that hold fairings on. In some areas I cannot access the back of the rivnut. If I purchase a rivnut tool can I re-seat them to keep them from spinning?

Rivnuts

You could try the tool as a first step. It may or may not be successful.

If that doesn't work, drill them out carefully while holding the lip with a pair of vice grips or pliars and replace them with new ones.

The rivnuts with the tabs will prevent that from occurring in the future.

Don

Like Don said. Keyed rivnuts with the right grip length & hole size are best defense. If your holes are too big, maybe you can set nutplates with the flush -3 pop rivets by drilling the leg holes from the outside and slot the hole just enought to weasel in a -06 nutplate. Maybe won't show under a fairing?

If the area isn't completely sealed on the backside - i.e. you can put a piece of safety wire through the hole from the outside and find it on the inside - you can install a nutplate. Drill the holes for the ears and countersink them for 3/32" flush pop rivets. Push a piece of safety wire through the middle hole, and string a nutplate on the wire on the inside, then bend the wire end over so you can then pull the wire back and get the nutplate up against the inside. Rotate the wire to get the holes aligned, pop rivet it into place, and then pull the safety wire out. Done!

I have used rivnuts in a few places on the -7a, but I have had several spin on me. It seems like you need a minimum thickness of the skin to really retain these things or you risk spinning them in the hole. The tab mounted ones no doubt work better, but I really like nutplates and use them wherever I can.

Mark Olson RV-7A F1-EVO Rocket

Loctite?

Try wicking a little of a higher strength Loctite from the outside where the head meets the structure. A day or so later and you should be able to put your tool in and re-compress (ever so slightly) the rivnut body.

I've done it before on certified planes, and unless the rivnut is trashed you should get good results.

Best Wishes for your success!

Thanks...

for all the suggestions. I'll buy a rivnut tool and try some or all of the suggestions, depending on the situation.

Chris, go the the 11/12/08 entry of this page of my web site. (It's the last entry.)

That tool works very well, if you use a cordless drill to set the rivnuts and doesn't cost that much.