RV8R999

Well Known Member
I'm nearly done with the plane and recently posted pics of m fuse in the "status thread".

I ignored all you smarter people and only built about 1/8" gap between the spinner and the cowl. Yep - just like many of you stated, its a real ***** to get the cowl on and off without gouging the paint.

I have a 1/8" prop spacer I bought from VANs wondering if I can put this between the prop extension and the spinner back plate providing another 1/8" clearance? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken

I'm nearly done with the plane and recently posted pics of m fuse in the "status thread".

I ignored all you smarter people and only built about 1/8" gap between the spinner and the cowl. Yep - just like many of you stated, its a real ***** to get the cowl on and off without gouging the paint.

I have a 1/8" prop spacer I bought from VANs wondering if I can put this between the prop extension and the spinner back plate providing another 1/8" clearance? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken

My RV-8 is 1/8" (thereabouts) with practice you will figure out how to remove the cowl. Besides, you will only scratch the part that doesn't show. A 1/8" spacer will give you a 1/4" gap...not as cool looking as the 1/8.
Vince
RV8 N8432 flying

Ken,

Our gap is just under 3/16 and the bottom cowl can be a struggle to get on and off without scratching paint. I solved the problem by making a template the same size as the front of the bottom cowl out of a 1/32 piece of mylar. I just tape the mylar in place on the cowl and it protects the cowl from scratching if it hits the spinner. Just remember to remove it before you go flying:)

use the spacer

I did that very thing on my RV6 years ago and it worked out fine.
Sometimes too tight tolerances are not what you really want, especially in this case. Up to a 3/8" gap between the spinner and cowl is fine, in my opinion, and it sure does make getting the cowl on and off easier, although some folks prefer the smnaller gap.
I also used protectors on the spinner, as others suggested, and that really helps the paint stay nice.