jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
On the RV9 and I assume most RV's, the plans show the filler plate that fills in behind the prop cutout on the spinner is to be riveted to the back plate. How have others done this as there is no room to get a rivet squeezer in there? I know you can remove the Sensenich prop from the plane, drive out the spacer to free up the backing plate to rivet, or, is there a better way?

How best to drive out the spacer from the prop?....support the prop with wood blocks just outside the 13" dia. backing plate with the spacer a few inches off the floor and alternately pound a pin down on the 2 spacer pins. My concern is will the supporting wood blocks under the prop blade damage the prop when I start pounding on the drive pins? Obviously I would place some good duct tape to protect the finish but I know those pins are really in there and I certainly don't want to bend my prop!

Seems like using No 6 screws instead of rivets to attach the filler plate would be just as good and a whole lot easier.

Looking for opinions, advice, expertise from others who have gone before? Props are pricey and am not sure the above is the right way.

Edit....Got the spacer off OK and will rivet the filler plates onto the backplate per plans.

Jim
RV9A

Last edited:
Hmmmmm ...

Not sure I understand the "driving out the spacer" issue. I bolted the prop on temporarily, allowing me to remove/reinstall it as many times needed to get the spinner fillers fab'd and riveted to the spinner backplate.
I would not use screws there ... you don't need more screws in the spinner. You'll have 21 #8's attaching the spinner, plus the number you end up with attaching the filler pieces to the spinner. IMO, that's plenty of screws whirling around at 2700rpm. :)

.....the fixed pitch prop when bolted in place has, going from front to back the front bulkhead, prop, rear bulkhead (or backplate-whatever you want to call it), then the 2+ inch spacer. The spacer has 2 pins that are driven thru undersized holes in the prop. Its not a hard job to take a 5 pound mall and drive the prop onto the spacer (using a protective wood block). But to remove same you have to support the prop with wood blocks so the spacer falls off (described in the Sensenich website under 70CM prop installation). I have never done this (drive the spacer off) so I was wanting to learn from others if this process has any chance of damaging the prop, and/or if there is some precautions or procedure that I have left out to prevent any possibility of damage to the prop.

Edited...I did the deed and the spacer pins/spacer drove out without any problems. This was one of those times where it was much easier than I thought it would be.

Jim

Last edited:
There is plenty of space between the spacer (7" diameter) and the outside edge of the spinner back plate (13" diameter) to get in and squeeze rivets. You will not have to remove the spacer. Best to follow the plans - if the fill plates come off they will do damage.

Pete