bsacks05

Well Known Member
Help! My RV9 is finished except for the spinner and I discovered a problem. My Ed Sterba wood prop is 4 3/8 inch thick at the hub, but the space between the forward and back spinner plates is 3 11/16. A difference of 11/16 inch. The manual says that if you encounter this situation you need a smaller front plate. From where? Anyone have this problem or have a solution? I may be able to get a little more space by sanding the inside of the spinner and also reducing the thickness of the front plate. I put an email into Van's and am waiting for the reply.

Thanks,

Hi Bruce- I have to ask to be sure. But I am also using a Ed Sterba Prop however mine is for a 0-360 I assume he made yours for a 320? Are you sure the thickness of the hub is 4 3/8 thick? Mine is 4 1/2" and could be thicker due to the type engine. When I measured from rear of the forward plate to the edge of the spinner I measured 4.5" exactly. Here's what mine looks like and I assume yours is the same. I dont know what prompts Vans to send one diameter front plate over another. I never told them what prop I was using and they must send radmon size front plates to folks that dont specify. It sounds like they sent you a larger one than I have.

http://www.jeffsrv-7a.com/PROPS/06-06-10.htm
http://www.jeffsrv-7a.com/PROPS/06-06-13.htm

-Jeff

PROPS%20027.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff,
Thanks for responding. Great looking plenum and pictures! I really admire you guys who do such nice work and post it for us. Anyway, I noticed that your front plate is different than mine. Mine has a recess stamped into it where my crush plate sits, yours does not have that and could account for much of the discrepancy. Yes, mine is an O320 and I may have measured wrong when I came up with 4 3/8 thickness on the prop and may actually be 4 1/2. Looks like if I can get a front plate like yours then I may be alright.

2 minutes later:
OK, problem solved. Looking at the drawings it seems like they gave me a S-605 SEN plate (for Sensenich prop) instead of the generic S-605 for the wood prop. Looks like I'll be flying next month after all! Thanks again Jeff.

Last edited: