flyenforfun

Well Known Member
Hey everyone,

Getting started on the install of my prop and spinner. Just wanted to ask, does anyone use the vans crush plate spacers between the forward spinner bulkhead and the prop? I lined up the two plates in the spinner like the instructions tell me and measured the gap. I compared the gap to my sensenich FP metal prop and it seems the prop hub is almost a 1/4" smaller than the gap between the spinner bulkhead and back plate. Is this normal? Do I put in two 1/8" spacers or do i just build up the inside of the spinner with fiberglass? Is it safe to put 1/4" of spacers in or will the prop bolts not be in far enough?

Its never easy for me..

Spinner Bulkhead Spacer

Matt

I have and RV-7, the difference between my spinner bulkheads and Sensenich prop thickness is 3/16". Vans catalog lists a spacer S-604, but does not specify the thickness. Maybe someone can help us.

I am about to be at this point and had the same question. any response on this.???

We ended up deciding that we didn't want to put 1/4" worth of spacers in there because it would be that much less prop bolt threaded into the flange on the engine. We just moved forward without adding spacers and ended up needing a small buildup of fiberglass around the inside of the spinner to fill the small gap between the spinner and the forward plate. And the gap ended up being so small that you could only tell when you put the screws in because the cone would indent slightly. Adding this layer is acceptable per the instructions. This was one of the last things we did from what I remember. When drilling the holes in the spinner to the holes in both plates we just clamped the spinner to the rear plate, lined everything up with the pencil method we found on here, and drilled all the holes for the screws.

To add the glass layer on the inside we covered our forward plate and everything near it in teflon tape, make a sharpie mark around the outside of the spinner where the plate is, put a layer of fiberglass inside the spinner (a strip the thickness of the plate flange), and then put the spinner on with the rear plate screws and let it set. Then sanded it down, made sure it didnt need any more fiberglass to fill the gap, redrilled through the forward holes to put a hole in the new glass layer and that was it. Turned out great, spinner attaches solid and spins true, and i can rest easy that I didn't sacrifice prop bolt engagement for a piece of fiberglass.

Last edited:
I really wish I could say I understood better what you are explaining. I have been looking at the plans and reading the instrx to try and gain some clarity on where this gap is. Any chance you are anyone else may have a photo of this..

May have found a pic on the web...
this what we're talking about here?.. If i use these spacers, which I don't have, then there is no way those four bolts will be long enough that hold the hub together.

20100124_prop_hub2.jpg