pierre smith

Well Known Member
Mornin' everybody,
We are disassembling the Sojourner for paint and yesterday noticed quite a bit of grey residue on the backing plate behind the prop. The front plate displays some fretting as though there is motion between the spinner (Van's fiberglass) and the forward plate. Should there be nutplates/screws in the front plate? How many?
Thanks, :confused:

I have a Sensenich metal spinner w/ their front and back plates. There are 6 evenly spaced nutplates on the front plate.
HTH

Spinner

Pierre,
My RV-6 180 c/s has 500tt
I have Vans Fiberglass spinner.
also have 6 (I think) screws and nutplates in the forward bulkhead.
last year condition inspection, I noticed some fretting at the forward bulkhead, even with the screws. I filled the ridge/groove with a lightweight filler and sanded it smooth to get the original shape back. Then applied a light coating of RVT when I reassembled it. This condition inspection I had to kind of pull the RTV apart, no big deal really and NO fretting at all. The RTV seemed to stop it cold. also, the spinner went right back on with a good fit.
Your results may vary.
Good Luck
Bob Martin
RV-6

Catto spinners do not use any screws in the forward mounting plate. Mine was also subject to some fretting. The solution was to put a layer of STC'd PMA'd TSO'd duct tape around the flange. This makes a tighter fit to the spinner and eliminates the fretting. Depending on the fit, it might take two layers.