chrispratt

Well Known Member
Has anyone else experienced the following?

I use the Champion CH48110-1 spin on oil filter on my Lycoming O-360-A1A. When I tried to install a new filter last weekend, it spun on about halfway and then met serious resistance and stopped. Since I fear cross-threading or stripping threads on anything that has the word "engine" connected to it, I backed off and tried again with the same result. I didn't want to force the filter on. I inspected the filter threads and they "appeared" to be okay. I felt around the threads in the adaptor on the engine and it seemed okay as well. Rather than chance messing up the thread, I took a second filter and tried it. It spun on all the way, no problem. Not even a hint of resistance.

I'm assuming the threads on the first filter have a burr or something on them, but I'm not sure. This is the second time this situation has happened to me in the dozen or so oil filter changes I've done.

So I'd like to know what others think. If it's a burr, do you know what the thread size is so I can buy a "die" and have it handy for any future occurrences. Or could it be something else?

Thanks.

Chris

Has anyone else experienced the following?

I use the Champion CH48110-1 spin on oil filter on my Lycoming O-360-A1A. When I tried to install a new filter last weekend, it spun on about halfway and then met serious resistance and stopped. Since I fear cross-threading or stripping threads on anything that has the word "engine" connected to it, I backed off and tried again with the same result. I didn't want to force the filter on. I inspected the filter threads and they "appeared" to be okay. I felt around the threads in the adaptor on the engine and it seemed okay as well. Rather than chance messing up the thread, I took a second filter and tried it. It spun on all the way, no problem. Not even a hint of resistance.

I'm assuming the threads on the first filter have a burr or something on them, but I'm not sure. This is the second time this situation has happened to me in the dozen or so oil filter changes I've done.

So I'd like to know what others think. If it's a burr, do you know what the thread size is so I can buy a "die" and have it handy for any future occurrences. Or could it be something else?

Thanks.

Chris

Chris, printed on the filter under the instructions 8 steps how to install, it says "THREAD SIZE 3/4-16".

If the old filter just spun off without problems, then the problem would be in the new filter threads. A die should solve the problem. Or maybe a change to a better filter??..................:eek: