Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
Having watched my copy of "The Worlds Fastest Indian" again I became curious as to whether there has ever been a "Speed Week" like affair for airplanes with two way level flight max speed runs in classes? D___! I would like to see that. See it? I would like to fly it.

Bob Axsom

R.A.C.E (Rutan and canards enthusiasts) used to do this in the west coast and mid west. A couple of 2 way speed trials a year, mostly vari-eze and long-eze guys but they welcomed us RVs with open arms. Dave Anders R4V, Tracy Sailer RV6, and myself RV3 did petty good. They also did 100 to 150 mile sprints (out and back) in different classes grouped by horsepower. Used an air start all abreast ala Reno. Should still be archives on the web. Lots of fun.
Tom

SARL just published the first set of records

Sport Air Racing League just published the initial speed records at the http://www.sportairrace.org website. Now if someone at Wendover, Utah could organize a straight line speed event that avoided the restricted areas over the salt flats I'm sure we could bump those up a bit.

Bob Axsom

RV Sprint Racing

Hey Bob and others. I couldn't make the TX 100 mile race because of other conflicts, but I do know of a few pilots with RV's in my area that would like to of attended the race, but they didn't because of having to run Wide open over a long distance. I know a 100 miles isn't much, say 30 minutes of flying or so, but after talking with some of my fellow RV friends, they don't like running their engines at max RPM/MAP for a full 30 minutes. Some of them mentioned if the race was say 20 miles or so long that there would be much more attendance. Little sprint races like this I feel would gain much more interest and it can be done quickly, meaning most pilots could maybe show up the day of the race, have a little Sprint Race then fly home the same day. Does this make any since?? Locally there are a few of us that go up together and crank the planes up Wide open for a few miles but not for a 100 miles.. Some pilots just don't like running their engines at the MAX for extended periods of time. I like the idea, anybody else??????? :D

good information Alan

So there is a set of competitors out there longing for a venue to test their metal in a short straight run. Me too! I would like to see it and be a part of it. Maybe someone can set it up.

On your other point Alan, this is just my point of view. We missed you guys at Taylor, Texas but we had a heck of a good race. As far as the engine mistreatment is concerned, I hesitate to give an opinion because I believe you have a deep understanding of engines, far greater than mine, being a race engine builder but I have some experience to relate. I run wide open max RPM (which at 2700 plus a little RPM is very slow really) for hundreds of miles of races combined with thousands of hours of overall flight time at 2450/2500 RPM and I think it is simply not a problem if you keep your temperatures and pressures in check. My discussions with Lycoming customer support via telephone and the engine manuals I think support this view. In 2002 I flew a leg of a 1,800 mile race from Thunder Bay in Canada to Warroads, in Minnesota and that is the only time I felt a little tentative because of the vast tree covered wilderness. I am told that a famous RV-4 Pilot runs his engine at the maximum RPM allowed by the prop manufacturer, on the order of 2,900 RPM. I will have to alter my governor beyond just backing out the limit screw to achieve that level. The engine being redlined by the manufacturer holds me back at this point but I suspect the redline is arbitrary. However, even if you run at off peak performance to satisfy a conservative view, most of your planes will beat me and a lot of others in races like the AirVenture Cup race that is 407 nautical miles long or the 300 milers like the one at Wichita next month. The risk is something that each owner/pilot must decide but you would still be competitive at lower power settings. Even if you don't win, and I speak from a lot of experience on this point, being in the competition is special. Everything gives way to the bare facts of performance and it is very satisfying to be a part of it. I would sure like to see that hot red, white & black RV of yours at Wichita or Dayton but a smart man has to set his own priorities. Was the little girl in another thread your daughter? There's a good reason to play it safe.

Bob Axsom

100% power

Was the little girl in another thread your daughter? There's a good reason to play it safe.

Bob Axsom
[/QUOTE]

Hi Bob, No the little girl isn't mine, she was the child of some proud parents wanting a picture of her in the RV.

I agree with you, running an engine at 100% is not a real issue if everything is in the green range. But if your running 100% power or making over rated HP then the TBO goes down. Oil samples will tell the tale. Lycoming and Continental test run engines at 100% with redline CHT's and oil temps to see if they will hold up for testing purposes, but trying to get others to run at 100% power for a long distance is up to them. I understand if other pilots don't like to run their engines to the max and that is there choice. Most of the RV pilots have more $$$$ in their engines then the airplane and they just don't want to push them. That's why a short Sprint Race over 25 miles or so would get more attention and attendance in my opinion.