mikehoover

Well Known Member
Lycoming advised me to puncture or remove the inner plug in my O-320 that has the hollow crank since I am using a fixed pitch prop. After puncuting it a few times I decided it might be better to just remove it. It is not budging. Is there a special tool or method required? Thanks!

I use a dent puller as in the body shop method. Put some grease in there to catch any little drilling flecks, then drill a small hole (1/8" or so). Screw in the dent puller and give it one good whack one the slide.

Lycoming advised me to puncture or remove the inner plug in my O-320 that has the hollow crank since I am using a fixed pitch prop. After puncuting it a few times I decided it might be better to just remove it. It is not budging. Is there a special tool or method required? Thanks!

I'm curious why you want to remove it. I had a small oil leak at my ring gear, pulled the front plug and found the rear was intact. I punctured a small, 1/8" square hole in it, and have had not further issues in another 50 hours of operation....

Don't remove it, you will be fine.

On both of my engines I took a long Phillips screwdriver and punch two holes in that seal before pounding the outer seal in place.

The guys who get in trouble are the ones who don't punch a hole in it.

Also, be careful, if you use a dent puller and have the cross tube in the crank. You could damage it.