>
> Saturday I had the privilege of flying Col. Dave Eberts (Ret) in my
> RV-8 for his 94th birthday! Dave joined the Army Air Corps in 1941
> just prior to Pearl Harbor. He served for 30 years and flew everything
> from the Stearman to F-4.
>
> Dave's son, Randy, and I were classmates at A&M so I have known Dave
> for lots of years. When I finished my RV I asked Randy if Dave might
> like a ride and he suggested April 6 as it would be Dave's birthday.
>
> So Sat. Stan Kremp (neighbor and RV-7A owner/builder) and I flew in
> 2-ship over to 1T8 (Bulverde). We were surprised to be greated by
> 20-30 people including a reporter from KENS channel 5 in SA! I took
> Dave for a short flight while Stan and Randy flew chase and took
> pictures. Dave flew for about half the flight and had not lost his
> smooth touch.
>
> Dave, Randy and Suzanne (Randy's wife) kept thanking us when I felt
> that I should be thanking them for allowing me the honor of taking the
> flight.
>
> Flagman
>
> http://www.kens5.com/news/local/Hig...ng-return-to-South-Texas-skies-201834431.html
>

Special Flight

It was good of you to honor the senior pilot with a ride in your RV-8 fighter. Sometimes the old ones are overlooked in the current trend to introduce youngsters to flight. I?ve been rewarded by the heartwarming reaction numerous times before, during and after a flight given to our old birdmen.
In the early 90?s while basing my RV-4 at APA, an older gentleman was strolling amongst the hangar rows when he approached me and the RV. He admired the sleek lines of the -4 and remarked how it reminded him of the P-51 he flew in WW2. He had retired from flying years ago after service to this country and a career with an airline. Even in advanced age he looked like he kept fit and could easily wear his original flight suit. Next day we met early on a crisp Colorado morning and he took my rear seat. We departed East to what at that time was still wide open country and proceeded to put the -4 through her paces. The years melted from my new friend and the fighter pilot re-emerged in smooth, responsive maneuvers. After thirty minutes or so of pulling G?s and making the world go round we returned to the field. I asked for an initial to a 360 overhead followed by a wheel landing. At the hangar with the sound of the engine cooling, the P- 51 fighter pilot slowly gets out of the rear seat, hesitating just a bit while holding on to that flight. My reward was in noticing his moist eyes and that far away look aviators get when remembering their first love.

Not long after this experience while attending the Northwest Regional EAA meet in Arlington, I had another chance to give a ride. Only now it was a Canadian who had immigrated from Germany not long after the war. His accent was unmistakable and his Teutonic bearing evident while wearing a flight suit. He had started on his tail feathers and had not seen nor flown in an RV-4. His flight experience was near the end of the war in the FW-109, an airplane that he admired for its fine flight characteristics. I offered to take him for a ride early the following morning. Sure enough he was ready to go at 0700 as I suggested and once again I had a beautiful cool day. My RV has not spent much time below 5500msl and that 150hp finally had a chance to show the right stuff closer to sea level. Again the maneuvers so familiar to the old fighters were performed and not surprisingly the after flight reaction was duplicated.

While visiting Avenger Field this last Nov. I remembered the WASP that flew with me at Bartlesville Ok. It was a great fly in and I was holding court around the only RV-4 present there. The older woman remarked how the little plane looked like some of the ones she had flown during the war. When I asked if she still flew the disappointment in her eyes said it all. When the Wasp?s were disbanded, she like so many others would not be able to continue flying. Well you know the story by now, the next morning at 0700 we departed the pattern and it was the first time since 1944 that she had the controls of an airplane.

To push back the clock for these three remarkable people was one of the greatest gifts my little RV-4 could give me. It also demonstrated how flying, the machines and the people that fly them have a unifying affect regardless of Nationality or gender.

Hans

Great story. What a thrill for both of you.

I am sitting at my mother in laws house because her husband, my wife's father just passed away Saturday. He was 96. He was not in the Air Corps, but went in on D-Day at Omaha Beach. He made it through 6 big battles and was shot through the legs in the Hurtigan(sp?) Forrest. He was awarded two Silver Stars, one Bronze Star, two Purple Hearts, and a book of citations. He was so interested in my build, I would have loved to give him a ride. I did get to show him pictures and the plans. I guess that will have to do.

One of his most proud moments was when he dressed in his old uniform - that still fit, and commissioned my son a 2nd Lt. Even the One Star General stood in line to shake his hand. It is one of my sons most special moments too.

Wonderful consideration, guys..Thank you.

I had the privilege of giving some dual instruction to a Pearl Harbor survivor, a few years ago and just having him beside me was a blessing.

Best,

Special Flight

Colonial (Retired) Harold ?Gib? Gibson lives in Pagosa Springs, CO, and retired with over 30 year? s service in the USAF. He had flown nearly every aircraft in the Air Force inventory at the time of his retirement. He is still an active pilot, flying a Piper Lance, and maintains his IFR currency, and exercises his CFII. This past year he celebrated his 95th birthday! (No, that?s not a typo, he is ninety-five.) He began his Air Force Career as an instructor (he already had several hundred hours? flight time) in 1940. He is still about 6?2? and retains his military bearing! We have a cabin in Pagosa, and were there last fall, when my instrument currency ran out, and I needed an Instrument Check. Gib agreed to administer the check ride. It took some effort for him to fold his tall, lean frame into the back seat of our RV8, but once settled in, he seemed comfortable. The check ride followed the familiar pattern ? air work, approaches, unusual attitudes, and so forth. After the ride was complete, he gave me what was probably his standard Air Force complement: ?You won?t kill yourself!? As Jimmy Averitt mentioned above, I felt honored to have such experience riding with me.