RV10Rob

Well Known Member
A couple times people have recommended the Cherry CCC-32 rivets that Aircraft Spruce sells in place of the MK-319-BS that Van's sells. I like the idea of not having to enlarge the holes to #33, but I'm reluctant to make the substitution without seeing a datasheet. Has anyone found one? A Google search for "Cherry CCC-32" yields results on the ACS and VAF sites only--is the "real" model number something different?

ACS site does have hole diameter, sheer/tensile strengths, and max grip. I'm especially curious what the max hole diameter and min grip are.

Thanks...

-Rob

This one?

A couple times people have recommended the Cherry CCC-32 rivets that Aircraft Spruce sells in place of the MK-319-BS that Van's sells. I like the idea of not having to enlarge the holes to #33, but I'm reluctant to make the substitution without seeing a datasheet. Has anyone found one? A Google search for "Cherry CCC-32" yields results on the ACS and VAF sites only--is the "real" model number something different?

ACS site does have hole diameter, sheer/tensile strengths, and max grip. I'm especially curious what the max hole diameter and min grip are.

Thanks...

-Rob

Cross referencing leads to this one, I think....

Avdel CCCS-03-02
Drill hole 0.094 (3/32)
Grip range 0.020 - 0.125
Head diameter 0.180
Head is 120 degrees countersunk
230 pounds shear, 280 pounds tensile strength ultimate

On the Hanson Rivet web site, which seems to list every rivet - with specs. even - known to man....:)

http://www.hansonrivet.com/w17b.htm

Note - the Aircraft Spruce catalog page table seems to confuse 1/8 and 3/32 rivets in this area (-03 vs -04) and the SSK42SSBS does not seem to exist in the "32" form in the Hanson table as a Pop rivet cross reference.
Extrapolate from the AC Spruce catalog error to the Hanson page and you get the above rivet...:)

Extra note - Avdel is a Cherry company - part of Textron

Extra, extra note - the Avdel web site goes to here... hole size is given as 0.097 to 0.100

http://www.crawfordproducts.com/nail-rivets.htm

Last edited:
Thanks, Gil! Guess that's why I couldn't find anything on the Cherry (or any other) site.

-Rob

Type of hole...

Using that real part number, I found the official datasheet:
http://www.avdel-global.com/fileadm...mperial/Breakstem/N_Rivet_CCPS_LS_CS_inch.pdf

I got my hands on some of these fancy rivets and tried them out. The manufactured head looks just as good as the MK-319-BS, though smaller. The shop head looks really small--not sure what to think about that.

-Rob

Rob.... one of the issues with using pulled rivets is the type of hole we create when we have the Vans "sort of standard" dimpled skin into a dimpled rib.

The rivet makers want a nice clean hole with straight sides, but if you look at the backside of a dimpled rib hole, you will hardly be able to describe it as having a nice square edge...:)

The shop head of the pulled rivet sort of deforms itself into this "cavity" on the inside of the rib, and it does not allow a clean, full size shop head.

With our driven rivets, a little extra length will allow for this effect, but since the pulled rivets don't expand out sideways as well as the driven ones, the shop head will suffer.

However, the rivet should work as well as the MK-319-BS that Vans specifies.

One option is to use a NAS-1149 equivalent CherryMax rivet that has the hole drilled out to #30, but retains the head size of a -3 rivet. This drilling out will clean up the sides and rear of any double dimpled holes and should give you a cleaner shop head.

Some info on these rivets here - http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=23816&highlight=cherrymax

Try the rivets in a countersunk hole and see if the shop head looks better...

Last edited:
Thanks, Gil. I think you're on to something. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that the #40 holes are enlarged when dimpled, so the hole diameter itself is t the upper limits of the allowable range. That, combined with the problem you describe, seems to be producing poor results. In a couple places, I can see the rivet flange from the back side of the rivet, through the hole.

I think the MK-319-BS rivets work much better because the 7/64 hole we drill *after* dimpling is very close to (if not slightly below) the minimum hole diameter for those rivets, so there's less gap to fill.

In any case, I think the conclusion is that the CCC-32 (or CCCS-03-02) rivets are not acceptable as a dimpled skin to dimpled rib fastener. They would probably work fine when the bottom material is machine countersunk (e.g. wing skin to main spar).

Thanks again...

-Rob

Try the Cherrymax...

...CR3214-4-x for use as an occasional "repair" rivet.

Its the #30 rivet with the smaller head. It's also a 100 degree countersink vs the 120 degree of the rivets mentioned above.

Link to sources in a previous post in this thread.