RV7Guy

Well Known Member
The recent thread regarding oxygen impact on the body in flight got me thinking. I'm now ready to buy an 02 system for the travel I have planned for the coming months.

I took a look at all of the ones available while at Oshkosh last year and came away confused. Everyone of them claims to be better than the other.

I fly mostly solo so I don't need a giant size. Big enough to cover 2 people for a reasonable time frame, or one for a long time.

I'd like to hear from the RVer's on what they have, what they like and would they buy something different with the knowledge they have now.

Thanks in advance.

I have the AerOx 2D system (Around $500) and like it fine. I did research before I bought. Call them direct. They will work with you. I actually got a better price from Aircraft Spruce, but AerOx swapped out the regulator for the one I wanted at no charge.

Last edited:
I bought from Mountain High and sprung for the EDS system for two. This way I only need a 9 cu ft alum. bottle (2150 psi) mounted to the back of the passenger seat and it still lasts a long time. The EDS system uses standard medical canulas--it has an Electronic delivery manager that only releases oxy when there is negative pressure (when you inhale) in the line. It also has a number of other safety features and higher oxy flow options but you can contact Jason at Mountain High for the details. The EDS is a little pricey but it allows you to use a much smaller (read lighter!!) bottle.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

db

Mel said:
I have the AerOx system and like it fine. I did research before I bought. Call them direct. They will work with you. I actually got a better price from Aircraft Spruce, but AerOx swapped out the regulator for the one I wanted at no charge.
Ditto all around! I went with the same system other guys at my home base have -- in case somebody needs spare parts or wants to borrow a tank for use with their reg/cannulas in a pinch or something. Unlikely but possible.

I have the 2D (13 cu ft) setup and that's about perfect for any size trip I've taken. Last time I used it was on the way down to Guadalajara and back. 14 hour round trip, but while I was down there my dad and I went up to 13,500' for a couple of hours to tool around the Colima volcano. We sucked down more O2 on that flight than Jen and I did on the whole rest of the trip. If I had a "C" size bottle I don't think I would have had any left when we got home.

Anyway, Aerox 2D...works.

db1yg said:
I bought from Mountain High and sprung for the EDS system for two. This way I only need a 9 cu ft alum. bottle (2150 psi) mounted to the back of the passenger seat and it still lasts a long time. The EDS system uses standard medical canulas--it has an Electronic delivery manager that only releases oxy when there is negative pressure (when you inhale) in the line.
The new 2-place EDS module from MH looks pretty neat and does not add much in the way of cost to a system. Complete systems are $1,100 and up.

For me, the biggest advantage is the ability to clean up the system physically and use standard medical cannulas. Here are photos of the new EDS box:

O2D2-REAR.jpg

O2D2.jpg

It's pretty small. You could mount it somewhere around the headset jacks so that all of the stuff that goes on the head is routed together (don't think headsets present a sparking hazard). It's not specifically designed for permanent installation, but it should mount fairly easily. It turns on automatically at either 5k or 10k MSL if you want and there's nothing to adjust - no flowmeters. Will make provisions for one in our RV project.

Oxygen Bottle Mounts

After a lot of searching for a way to mount an oxygen bottle I came up with this for clamps. There are the band clamps that Aerox sells for $37 each, or fire extinguisher clamps that local hardware stores don't stock, or galvanized :( heater ducting clamps, or this...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...0/0/quick fist/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0

I have a couple of these on order and should have them in a few days. The super quick fist looks just right. These look like they will mount to the back of the flap actuator housing and hold the bottle vertically. Taking the bottle in and out should be easy. We'll see how they work.

Best,

Bryan,

Set your oxy bottle behind the flap actuator support like it would be as if mounted there and test putting anything in the baggage area. I had also planned to install my oxy bottle there but decided against it after the little test. The head of the bottle/pressure gauge (the most easily damaged part) was always in the way. As a result I mounted my bottle to the back of the copilot seat using MH hard clamps. I made stand offs from UHMW plastic to smooth the corrugations on which I bolted the clamps. I can reach the valve from the pilot seat and it is not in the way. To remove the bottle I simply tilt the copilot seat forward and loosen the quick release clamps. I might add that if you are installing a large bottle you could have a clearance problem with the seat back support but give the test a try.

Cheers,

db

Bryan,

A pic is worth a thousand words. Attached is a pic of the bottle mount on the back of the copilot seat. Note that the UHMW plastic is a tight fit between the corrugations and effectively connects the three corrugations together giving the mount a lot of strength. Although after thinking about it the seat back has seen everything from a 120 lb passenger to a 240 lb passenger with no problems---probably my usual overkill!!

I believe you can click on the pic for a full screen shot.

Cheers,

db
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Bryan Wood said:
After a lot of searching for a way to mount an oxygen bottle I came up with this for clamps. There are the band clamps that Aerox sells for $37 each, or fire extinguisher clamps that local hardware stores don't stock, or galvanized :( heater ducting clamps, or this...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...0/0/quick fist/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0

I have a couple of these on order and should have them in a few days. The super quick fist looks just right. These look like they will mount to the back of the flap actuator housing and hold the bottle vertically. Taking the bottle in and out should be easy. We'll see how they work.
According to the specs, the Super Quick Fist is good for a 50 lb working load. How much does a full O2 bottle weigh? Is it OK if it comes loose and flies around the cockpit in turbulence, or in a ground accident?

As a point of reference, for items of mass in the cockpit, FAR 23 requires that the mounting be good for 18g forward, which is intended to ensure that you don't get hit in the head by a heavy object in an otherwise survivable accident. There is certainly no requirement that we follow FAR 23, but it does provide a useful benchmark. A surprising number of RVs have had ground accidents, and it would be a shame if someone was hit by a flying O2 bottle.

Dave B

Hi Dave,

I sent you a private message requesting the source of the clamp you used. Others may be interested.

The clamps are from Mountain High Oxygen Systems:
www.mhoxygen.com
The specific clamps are called the CMK Omega cylinder mounting kit. If I remember correctly they cost around $25-30 bucks. I substituted the clamps for the soft bag offered in the two person eds oxy system that I bought from them. You simly loosen the black knobs, flip the knob lever, and the clamp basically spilts for cylinder removal. It is high quality stuff. They have 10-15 different sizes of clamps for all types of oxy cylinders. Their tele # is 800-468-8185.

Cheers,

db

I am look at getting the AerOx system.

Mounting in the baggage compartment behind the passenger seat. Still trying to decide on the brackets. I think that most of the time the bottle will not be in the plane, so I want to be able to remove the band clamps easily also.

The question I have today is how are people mounting the lines/flow meters for this type of system? I have been think that I would run the lines under the arm rest. Any thoughts or pictures?

Kent

Aerox oxysaver

One of the planes I fly is an older Turbo Commander that doesn't pressurize too well anymore. The cabin will be at almost 10,000' when the plane is at FL240. I could tell that my performance was below what I consider acceptable after spending time at this altitude, but wearing the mask for less than an emergency wasn't acceptable either. I bought the Aerox Oxysaver cannula setup with the adapter that fits into the plane's oxygen mask outlet. I just set the needle valve to flow at the 10,000' setting, and after using it on a recent three hour trip, I'm definitely SOLD! What a difference in the level of alertness this makes! Also, I'm not sure of the cylinder size in the Commander, but a three hour trip hardly registered a loss on the gauge.

I think I look better than Dan while wearing the setup, but I guess that's subjective. :D

Must be the shades.....

I have to wear the ones with the lines in them. Old geezers get "distinguished" with age.

Dan - what headset is that you're wearing, and how well does it handle the cockpit noise?

Where to mount O2 system in an RV-8?

Just what the title says -- Where do those of you with RV-8's mount an oxygen system (For both solo and two persons)?

Thanks,

airguy said:
Dan - what headset is that you're wearing, and how well does it handle the cockpit noise?
QT Halo (Quiet Technologies) Plenty of controversy over which of the in-ear headsets is best, so I won't rehash it here.

Suffice it to say I sold my Thirty 3G after using the QT Halo, and my RV-7 is LLLOOOUUUD (no interior).

Has Any One Tried These?

Best,

I am in search of a bracket to hold my oxygen tank in my 9A and was wondering if anyone had used these brackets from West Marine?

Steve,

I didn't use those, but built my own. A piece of half-inch thick delrin plastic with a half-circle cutout to fit my bottle. Mounted the plastic to a piece of angle Al and screwed the angle Al to the longerons behind the passenger seat. On either side of the delrin I put an eyebolt and then got a bungee the proper size to secure the bottle to the plastic. I put one of these near the bottom of the bottle (a couple inches above the baggage floor) and a second one on the longeron, so two brackets to hold the bottle in place. Considerably cheaper than the premade clamp.

greg

I bought from Mountain High and sprung for the EDS system for two. This way I only need a 9 cu ft alum. bottle (2150 psi) mounted to the back of the passenger seat and it still lasts a long time. The EDS system uses standard medical canulas--it has an Electronic delivery manager that only releases oxy when there is negative pressure (when you inhale) in the line. It also has a number of other safety features and higher oxy flow options but you can contact Jason at Mountain High for the details. The EDS is a little pricey but it allows you to use a much smaller (read lighter!!) bottle.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

db

They also have carbon fiber bottles, which are even lighter.

Thanks

Steve,

I didn't use those, but built my own. A piece of half-inch thick delrin plastic with a half-circle cutout to fit my bottle. Mounted the plastic to a piece of angle Al and screwed the angle Al to the longerons behind the passenger seat. On either side of the delrin I put an eyebolt and then got a bungee the proper size to secure the bottle to the plastic. I put one of these near the bottom of the bottle (a couple inches above the baggage floor) and a second one on the longeron, so two brackets to hold the bottle in place. Considerably cheaper than the premade clamp.

greg

Greg, Thanks