339A

Well Known Member
Just saw this on AOPA. I cut and pasted it here so others can read it that aren't members. Hope he is found OK.

Search under way for Sparky Imeson
Mountain-flying expert missing
By Alton K. Marsh

Well-known mountain-flying lecturer and author Sparky Imeson was the sole person aboard a Cessna 180 when it disappeared March 17 about 18 miles north of Bozeman, Mont. He was on a one-hour flight from Bozeman to Helena.

Lewis and Clark County Sheriff Leo Dutton confirmed that Imeson was piloting the aircraft registered to Mountain Flying LLC of Helena. Imeson has conducted mountain-flying safety seminars nationwide and is the author of several books on the subject.

State officials are coordinating a search along the expected flight path. An aerial search Tuesday evening failed to find the airplane or an emergency locator transmitter signal.

Imeson and another pilot survived a crash in the Elkhorn Mountains in June 2007.

Link to Article

RIP Sparky.

He loved to spot elk and there is a large wintering herd in that area. I can see the location from my house:(:(:(

RIP, Sparky

Didn't know the man personally, but the C172 I used to own was purchased from a gentleman (at the time in Sante Fe, NM) who took his primary training from Sparky. Had nothing but good things to say about him. Also, every email I received from him had Sparky's name in the address block as well.

I'll miss the spark plug. He was SuperMentor for many in the park area. A friend of mine still has a C-85 powered airsled sparky's dad built. That's a dying thing too.

A great loss. Another aviation legend gone. Sparky was one of the people involved in writing the excellent Mountain Fury, Mountain Search Pilot Course for the Civil Air Patrol. Being a mountain qualified SAR mission pilot in CAP requires you to have taken this course, a combination of classroom instruction and lots of flying at 80-90kts off the side of mountains in places no normal pilot would ever venture. I wonder if any of his students were involved in his search?

I had the pleasure of meeting Sparky a few times over the years. The last time was during an informal gathering of Utah pilots at Smiley Creek, Idaho (annual mid-July "Friends of Skypark fly-in"). He and another pilot flew in for dinner at the lodge and he wandered into our camp and visited for a few. We swapped some stories and a good time was had by all.

Steve

Here's a crappy pic from my front porch(5miles south). The area appears flat, but actually has many gullies and washes. :(
Picture002-1-1.jpg