Jimboscr

Well Known Member
I have a 180 hp fuel injected Lycoming and I just put attached the plug leads from the Magnetos to their respective spark plugs. However they are ridiculously long, If the plugs were in the tail they would just about reach! (small exaggeration) Is this normal? can I shorten them? or should I just tie a bow in them? Can anyone out there enlighten me?

Cheers

Jim

Lycoming solution

I have a 180 hp fuel injected Lycoming and I just put attached the plug leads from the Magnetos to their respective spark plugs. However they are ridiculously long, If the plugs were in the tail they would just about reach! (small exaggeration) Is this normal? can I shorten them? or should I just tie a bow in them? Can anyone out there enlighten me?

Cheers

Jim

My factory shipped Lycoming 0-360 came with long leads that they looped around the intake tubes. Not flying yet but I plan on leaving them where Lycoming put them unless someone has a solution.

photo of Lycoming solution

iqf1p1.jpg

When you route/secure them start at the spark plug. Go neat from there and consider adel clamping the lower leads up on the baffling. Uses more wire and keeps them away from rocker cover leaks and exhaust. When you get to the back you can bundle the excess between the mags with tyraps. A little studyin' can make a nice routing far from heat and chafing.

This is why this forum is sooo good!

Thank you gentlemen for a prompt and informative solution to my problem. From an unknown that had me scratching the old head, to a solution in an hour. That is what makes this forum so valuable.

Thanks again

Jim

If you use this method, I would recommend running the wires forward of the valve covers on the left side to route them further from the exhaust tubes.

Like Mel says, forward on the left side, rear on the right. I didn't have that much excess on that left side. Still plenty far from exhaust (picture angle).