AAflyer

Well Known Member
I'm finalizing my FWF wires and need some advice about my spark plug wire routing. I have 4 wires strung behind the engine, just below the oil filter. I kinda want to leave some slack in this wires so they won't be yanked off my P-Mags when the engine shakes during shutdown. My concern is: how much slack is too much? As it stands now, they will contact the oil filter during negative-G situations. The steel-braided oil line is nearby, but I'm unsure about how hot it will get. Can I use an adel on it? Can I wrap it with silicon "rescue tape" and use a cable-tie?

Also, I'm concerned about the wires crossing so close to each other. As long as I don't bundle them together, I should be OK, right? I plan on using short (about 1/4") stand-offs made with cable-ties and a pieces of silicon hose to keep them separated.

Thanks, guys.

FullSizeRender_zpslbcmfzyi.jpg

These MSD wire separators work very well: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8841/overview/ They are a lot easier to use than the roll-your-own in most cases.

I was re-doing some a couple of the plug wire runs today. You're right that you need some slack but not too much. I actually put a dab of RTV on a couple of the MSD separators to keep the wires where I wanted them. I also had to wrap some silicone tape around one of my oil lines to protect a plug wire from chafe.

Inspecting often probably helps the most.

Last edited:
If you only anchor the wires to the engine or components attached to the engine, then everything will shake together on shutdown and there shouldn't be any force pulling on your plug wires.