llavalle

Well Known Member
Today, I was riveting my ribs on my first wing and noticed those 3 spots to install nutplates.

DSC03896.JPG

If I install the inbord rib now, riveting the nutplate will work but it would be easier to do it now. The instructions only mention the 2 lower ones, not those 3...

Do I install them right away or should I wait?

And while I'm there, what are they used for?

Thanks!

For the inboard bracket gas tank attachment so you can get to the screws after the skin is on.

Easier now.

Be sure you install the nutplates on the correct side of the spar and be sure the bracket is on the tank in the correct orientation........:eek:otherwise you won't like yourself later. :eek:

I would wait until after you have fit the tank and drilled the holes in the tank attach brackets.

Wait.

You will need to drill through those holes from the aft side of the spar forward into the Z-bracket attachment for the fuel tank. Once that is done, then you can put the nutplates on. It's really not bad at all with the ribs in place.

Ok, the Inboard z-bracket. Better wait then... I can't see how I can drill it afterwards if the nutplate is in.

Thanks.

I just did these...

And they blew. Having the most inboard rib in made it difficult to get the nutplates riveted on. I actually dinged my spar with a bucking bar and now it haunts me in the middle of the night (not because I am worried about it, but because I know it's there and I did it).

I've seen a couple threads about those nutplates and basically you have 3 solutions:

1.) Don't rivet on the inboard rib yet so you can remove it to rivet these nutplates on.

2.) Use a backrivet set to attach these nutplates.

3.) Use a blind rivet on the nutplate.

Whatever you do, don't do what I did and try to buck those rivets with the inboard rib on...it's a really tight fit.

Whatever you do, don't do what I did and try to buck those rivets with the inboard rib on...it's a really tight fit.

???

What were you trying to use for a bucking bar, a Chevy engine block? I had zero issue with mine, but I'm using a small tungsten bucking bar. Right tool for the right job....