SilverEagle2

Well Known Member
Friend
I started my wings today. I pulled out the spars and started to examine them closely. My left spar is perfect. The right on the other hand had a few scratches, but they are superficial. The one spot that leaves me worried is this one on the bottom bend near the end of the beefy bars.

Hmm.jpg

It seems almost like a crate staple hit it. However, there was not a puncture in the plastic it was delivered in. Strange.

Is this fixable? If so, is it simply gently blending with some scotchbright and some alodine?

Thanks in advance!

The first thing you do is email this pic to VANs' and then call them during the tech counseling hours.
I made a spar defect during wing tank work. I called them, emailed a pic, and it turned out I was lucky. I polished out the defect, which was outside of a critical zone, and everything is fine.

Thanks guys, I should have been more clear.

I actually did email Van's last night before asking here. I was hoping to see if anyone else had seen the same or close and what their repair was. A search brought up other areas that had nicks/scratches, but not like this one.

They just replied and said...prime it and build on.

Last edited:
stress

I would blend with a scotchbrite to relieve the stress point. If it's more than 10%of thickness I would replace.

More info for VANS

It might help VAN's if you give them more info, Blend the damage first, don't make the blend too tight a radius, measure the length and width of the blend area as well ad the deepest point then give that info to VAN's to assess the damage, from the photo it looks like it might be OK after clean up.

Cheers,