tomhanaway

Well Known Member
I may be adding a workspace to the house for building so I can preserve the garage.

How realistic is it to build plane on rolling work benches for support and not add landing gear until part of final assembly at airport?

Or, in the alternative, temporarily remove the landing gear assembly when moving past a restiction between the shop and the street?

My issue is not the size of the workspace but rather a restriction (central air conditioner) that may limit part of the "move project out when complete" space to about seven feet in width.

Thanks,
Tom H.
Building again.

Possible ....BUT

I guess anything is possible, however, the brake lines need to be installed AFTER the landing gear is attached, And the corresponding brake cyls and reservoir connected. All of this has to be done before the wheel fairings are attached. One builder attached the fairings after the wings were on, but the fairings are a bigger job than most people figure and doing them with the wings on would make it even bigger.
Probably the biggest issue would be the nose gear, the nose gear gets connected to engine mount with some rubber dampeners. All of this is behind the engine case and between the firewall. Take it from one who is recently going through this , that the area between the engine and the firewall gets VERY crowded during the engine and instrumentation connections, doing all of that prior to putting the nose gear on, and then getting the gear attached would be a monumental achievement.

I was definitely jumping the gun. Got home and looked at the side yard. It will actually be easier to move the outside airconditioner unit by a foot and then have clearance.

Tom

tomhanaway said:
I was definitely jumping the gun. Got home and looked at the side yard. It will actually be easier to move the outside airconditioner unit by a foot and then have clearance.

Tom

You can generally move an outside unit a foot or sometimes more without disconnecting it. Just make sure it is level after you move it.