bounce?

Groucho,
Not trying to be critical of the shuttle driver, but if the photo sequence is in the correct order it looks like it bounced a bit.

You had an awesome vantage point!

I would love to see that thing go-out or come-in 'live'.

I'll just keep bangin' rivets so I can have my subsonic fun.

Thanks for posting.

They are in order! I'll call some friends at JSC & make sure they give the pilot <grief> for the landing. :D

But

Where are the 2 old lady's driving the Oldsmobile Cutlass the wrong way down the runway?...:)

Frank

A slight skip is alwyas superior to trying to "sweeten" the touchdown in the Orbiter.....but I'm sure that CJ will get plenty of "advice" from those who have landed one before him....but you have to be careful of criticizing Marine Aviators...;)

Notice how well he held the nose wheel up during the landing.

Only for a moment did is let it down to touch that house :eek: (pic 119) and then eased it on to the ground.

Kent

kentb said:
Only for a moment did is let it down to touch that house :eek: (pic 119) and then eased it on to the ground.
Yup, hate it when those buildings get in the way!

Oh, I wasn't going to directly criticize CJ...just make sure the evidence got in the right hands. Box Johnson should have the pix waiting for him. I'm sure he can take care it it. Flights should always be thoroughly debriefed, Marine, USAF, NASA, whatever. :D

Seriously, those things are not the easiest brick in the world to land (haven't landed one yet myself though). To simplifly a bit, the center of rotation is somewhere out in front of the orbiter...pull back & you sink initially. Fun.

Yeah that wing

Looks more like a small fin!

I love the idea of the training aircraft is an HS 125 with the thrust reversers hanging out....A bit steep this approach what?

Frank

frankh said:
Looks more like a small fin!

I love the idea of the training aircraft is an HS 125 with the thrust reversers hanging out....A bit steep this approach what?

Frank

Gulfstream G II's actually, and yes, reverse thrust for a descent angle (outer glide slope) of 19 degrees. Just before the preflare (at 2,000'), the runway disappears up over the TOP of the windshield.... :eek:

Paul

I was in Air Force tech school at Lowry AFB back when a shuttle landing was still a big deal, and we were allowed to go watch it in the Gunney's office. That particular flight was piloted by a Marine, so the Gunney had a vested interest. Well, the pilot got the nose down too soon and really plunked it down. Response from the TV talking head: "Well, that wasn't too bad, for a Marine."

Response from the Gunney: [Doug has some very good rules regarding language on this forum, so you'll just have to imagine]

Ironflight said:
A slight skip is alwyas superior to trying to "sweeten" the touchdown in the Orbiter.....but I'm sure that CJ will get plenty of "advice" from those who have landed one before him....but you have to be careful of criticizing Marine Aviators...;)

I know the math behind getting it back home, but I still think it's cool that [we] can plunk the Orbiter down on a 15000' runway from space.

Over 2000 visitors in the last 24 hours to that page...not bad.

I had to make a trip to Vegas today...in the CAR. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some more RV-6 acro video shot. That's the real fun stuff! :D

Last edited:
Huston we have a problem

I know something is wrong when there's more media coverage given to Paris Hilton getting out lockup than a Shuttle landing. :eek:

gmcjetpilot said:
I know something is wrong when there's more media coverage given to Paris Hilton getting out lockup than a Shuttle landing. :eek:
Agreed! A lot of the media crews were about 500-1000' behind where I was shooting. It's nice to be a government employee every now & then. :D

Pretty sad

gmcjetpilot said:

That the news has become such a market driven phenomina. Our (collecive) feeble minds decide what is "news worthy".

3 years (I think) back, my Wife and I got to stop over in NYC. Of course we had to go see Ground Zero, it was a sence of reverence and awe at such a terrible tradgedy, and of course outrage that somebody would hate a nation so much so as to do such a thing.

As I stood there reading about the 2500 deaths it struck me there had been an Earthquake a couple of weeks before where 7.5 times as many people had died in Iran,...Once again from memory.

It had barely even made the news...Go figure!....

Frank