prkaye

Well Known Member
My temps are basically ok, but at higher power settings and in climb the cylinders on the left side do heat up more than those on the right side (sometimes by as much as 20 degrees). For years I haven't been able to solve this (making sure all baffling is well sealed, sealing off portions of the oil cooler, etc etc. I was recently reading a post that suggested there needs to be sufficient clearance between the upper cowl inlet ramps and the tops of the front cylinders. The post suggested that you need to be able to get your fist up between the ramp and the cylinder. I'm not at the hangar to check, but I'm quite certain this is one area where my left inlet is different from the right. I can't remember which is which, but I do remember the vertical gap between the inlet ramp and the cylinder is considerably smaller on one side than on the other (because of the engine geometry having the #2 cylinder sitting farther forward than the #1 cylinder).
I wonder if it would be worth doing some cowl surgery to modify my upper inlet ramp on the hot (left) side so the gap is more like that on the right side?
I've also wondered about modifying these ramps so they're not so steep - make a more gradual slope backwards.
Thoughts?