Darin Watson

Well Known Member
Friend
Located in Calgary and want to round up as many RV's as possible to go to Badlands Fly-in at HSR Sept 6-9. Anyone interested?:D

Two 4's from YXE going

Darin.....There are 2 (RV-4's) of us heading down on the thursday. Plan is xe-Williston (customs) to Hot Springs

Just so you know, a friend of ours work out of Wiliston and it is in the middle of North Dakota's oil boom. He's right next to the airport and says that it is really busy all the time. Don't know if you will get delayed because of that or not, just a thought. Clint

Planning customs at Sweetgrass

Marc,

We are planning Sweetgrass, anyone with intel of that crossing would be appreciated. (Thanks Clint for the heads up).

Super busy in WIlliston, not sure of airport or customs, there's always MOT - Minot, ND 100 or so East - busy airport w/ airlines now but don't think customs is too bad. It does have a tower. We're planning on heading down but won't be leaving until that Friday.

don't know about sweetgrass

Marc,

We are planning Sweetgrass, anyone with intel of that crossing would be appreciated. (Thanks Clint for the heads up).

Flew over sweetgrass on the way to Homecoming last year......looked good from 8ooo ft....:) We went to Cutbank which was a nothing burger (in and out in about an hour)... and might be on your way as well ??

A friend (the other -4) went through KISN a few weeks a go and did not mention any delays....

We cleared at Williston this year on the way to Osh. Busy, but no problems - best customs agent ever! Have also cleared at Cutbank and had to sit in the plane for almost 2 hr. before the CSB showed up. I had given them 22 hr. notice and I think they forgot until I phoned. Heard that Sweetgrass is rough - others here might know better.

Greatfalls.

I have always used Great falls. Super quick turn around everytime. I like that as it is usually the first stop of a long day of flying.

Williston vs Sweetgrass

Clearing at Williston no problem, oil boom will only affect you if you try to find a room in town, none to be had.
Sweetgrass strip is a bit rough, ask them what current conditions are. Last time thru there it took us 1.5 hrs to get processed, dogs, airplane tear downs, ride to border station in blacked out Suburbans, every form imaginable, etc. They get so few planes thru there they decided to use our group as a training exercise and gave us the full treatment! They were very friendly after they cleared us...
Cutbank OK if you followup with call 2hrs before arrival, no permanent agents there so they have to call somebody in.
Great Falls always good. Continue SE and fly by Devils Peak on the way to the fly-in.