tkatc

Well Known Member
Ok, we have our hotel and tickets taken care of for this years SXSW music festival. We are flying the -7A down and arriving around March 11 and leaving March 16th. We are SXSW rookies and would welcome any suggestions you may have, in particular, which airport to fly into. We wont have a rental car this time so something reasonably close is preferable, we plan on using the hotel shuttle to get around that week.

Anybody ever been?

Try EDC (Austin Executive). Nice people and nice FBO. If you talk real nicely to them they might give you a ride to your hotel. They do have rental cars if necessary or they can get you a taxi.

AUS is expensive but closer to most hotels and your hotel may have a shuttle service.

With no car, your only 'reasonably close' options are Austin Executive (KEDC) or Austin-Bergstrom (KAUS). I have never dealt with the FBOs at AUS, but there is bus service between the passenger terminal and downtown.

If you find the fees/fuel there is too expensive, go to KEDC. The folks there are great and their facility is amazing. It is still pretty far from downtown and there is no public transportation, but I have heard some hotels will provide transportation from the airport.

Fuel at EDC is not cheap, but if you can get transportation, buying a few gallons there may be worth it.

For cheap fuel, check the prices at Taylor (T74), Georgetown (KGTU) and Lampasas (KLZZ)

Good Luck!

Luis

Thanks for the update. Right now it looks as though I will drop the Mrs. off and then fly the plane to 52F for a condition inspection by Walt. The -7 will spend the week with Walt as I enjoy cervesa in Walt's name! :D

Please keep the suggestions coming because this plan is flexible.

Think big.

Didn't read where you are from, but I would recommend a rental car. Austin is definately a car kind of place. You can stay at a downtown hotel for the week, but Austin is not New Orleans nor Memphis where walking fantastic.

My opinion.

David

Didn't read where you are from, but I would recommend a rental car. Austin is definately a car kind of place. You can stay at a downtown hotel for the week, but Austin is not New Orleans nor Memphis where walking fantastic.

My opinion.

David

I agree. I can't imagine being stuck downtown without a car. That would get old real quick. I'm not a SxSW person, but I think many of the venues are all around town. You'll find me in the 'burbs avoiding the city at all costs.