RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
South African RV-12 Build Group

RVators,

If you remember 10 South Africans are going to put a RV12 together and then learn to fly on it...
Backround here http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=56939

We had our first build Sunday, none of these gents built an airplane before. We started at 8AM and by 4:30PM they had lots of hands on first experiences and had an Airworthy Vertical Stab to show for it.

The SA RV12 Build Team
day_01_10.jpg

Next Build Sunday is in 2 weeks time.

Rudi

Last edited:
Where's the ^%$#@&* vuvuzela?

Media tells me you guys can't go to the bathroom without celebrating with a vuvuzela! :cool:

Seriously, great job and idea. I am hoping our EAA chapter will take one on as a project when our current chapter project is completed and sold so keep posting progress links!

RVators,

If you remember 10 South Africans are going to put a RV12 together and then learn to fly on it...
Backround here http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=56939

We had our first build Sunday, none of these gents built an airplane before. We started at 8AM and by 4:30PM they had lots of hands on first experiences and had an Airworthy Vertical Stab to show for it.

The SA RV12 Build Team
day_01_10.jpg

Next Build Sunday is in 2 weeks time.

Rudi

Multi-builder Project...

Rudi,
Based on all the smiling faces, it looks like the project is off to a great start. And yes, please keep us posted on this forum with lots of pictures.

Tony

Thanks guys,

next build sunday is in 2 weeks time i.e. 18 July, then we intent to split the 10 man team up into 5 teams and each team take responsibility for a different portion of the kit. We hope the rest of our kit arrives before then.

Rudi

BUILD SUNDAY #2

BUILD SUNDAY #2

We had 4 of the 5 teams present. This is the first time the team had to work on their own parts, with me assisting when they run into ???

End of day Result:
100% completed Rudder
100% completed Center Section
100% completed Servo push rod
33% completed Trim Tabs
33% completed Tailcone

On to the pictures...

Wouter and Leon busy with the Rudder
day_02_01.jpg

Jan and Justin busy with the Tailcone skins
day_02_02.jpg

Julius and Martin busy with trim tabs and trim servo
day_02_03.jpg

Peter and "I behind the camera" busy with the center section, the hart of the fuselage and wings
day_02_04.jpg

A hive of activity, each team busy at their own table
day_02_05.jpg

The center section took lots of drilling and countersinking into that thick piece of aluminium, check all the shavings.
day_02_06.jpg

The Rudder Complete
day_02_07.jpg

Trim Servo Push rod complete, these gents look like they enjoy it.
day_02_08.jpg

Close up
day_02_09.jpg

The center section complete
day_02_10.jpg

Next build day is Sunday in 2 weeks, till then...Regards Rudi

Awesome Rudi! Just Awesome! If our chapter were bigger, we would be building one of these in a similar fashion!

Great report...

Thanks Rudy, you guys look like you are having a fun and educational build adventure. I really enjoy the photos. I must say, your hangar/workshop looks sharp, with the excellent lighting, air hose reel, etc., all well thought out. Those would be your aircrafts in the background.

Tony

Great series of photos, Rudi. Looks like the team is thoroughly enjoying the project and making excellent progress. Looking forward to your next update.
rgmwa