alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I seem to remember a thread a while back that pointed to a couple really good sources for overhauled or midtime engines, but can't find it now.

If you were going to buy a mid-time or overhauled 0-320, to whom would you go? I'm aware of the big places. For example, I know that I could go to salvage yard like Wentworth or even pick up an overhaul from a manufacturer like Aerosport. What I'm really seeking information about though is WHO (as in individuals) have you found that really know the market and are reliable, trustworthy, and would give you great advice and help find the appropriate engine (particularly midtimes) at a reasonable price? I know some good midtimes are out there, but just don't know how to find them and I'm no expert on a/c engines by any stretch.

I know many will recommend just buying a new engine from Van's, Mattituck, or Aerosport (and probably have some good reasons to do so), but I'm building in a whole different financial league than some who might give this advice, even if it is more by purpose than necessity.

Thoughts appreciated.

I have seen this thread below, but only a couple names appear on the first page then it devolves into a general discussion on midtimes...
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=5247&highlight=0-320

Last edited:
I watched the wnetworth website,and Barnstormers.com.

I also waited for the right deal. I ended up finding a local engine done after its first run. The advantage with that is that you can typically find a few locals who know the full/true story, as well as look it over and look the other party in the eye.

Worked well for me, everything ended up as represented.

Good engine hunting

Your best deal is likely to come from a fellow RV'er upgrading to a 360. Often you get all the accessories: prop, baffles, hoses, oil cooler, exhaust and so on. It's a huge plus buying an engine that's flying, verses a dusty one sitting on an old tire in the corner of the hanger, whose owner's memory of the condition is a little too enthusiastic.

Now how do you find these bargains? Lots of patients, net working and lots of calls, daily or weekly. Get the word out. It's going to take time and effort. Do become an expert on engines. Also you need the CASH. It does not do any good to look for a bargain and not be able to buy it. Also the good ones go quick. Just if you have a hesitation may be pass. Engines cost enough without having to buy a bad one.

All the usual cautions, buyer beware and educate yourself on what you want. There are narrow deck, wide deck, H2AD's, conical mounts, dynafocal and so on. Some sumps don't work with "A" models. Some don't have fuel pump pads.

There's a guy on this forum that just posted his RV-4 was damaged in a storm, sadly. :( I hope he repairs it, and it does not look too bad. However it reminds me, this is hurricane and tornado session. I hate to say it, but it's a source of engines. There can be crank damage but often not. Many of these planes get auctioned off by companies that do this. You need to call insurance companies and look for these auction firms. You bid on them and get the whole plane. You can usually inspect the plane which is a good idea. Of course if you win, you now you have to retrieve a whole plane and part it out or dispose of it, which could be good or bad. This takes effort. In the end you hope to get a good engine for cheap. You may get other parts or even sell parts off the plane to differ the cost of the engine.

All this hunting takes time and effort and has risks. That is why many suggest just buying new clone engines. Who knows you may just luck out. In the end you will kind of get what you pay for. Your best possible scenario is a good used mid time engine. If buying a core to rebuild, be careful what you pay. You may end up with a good rebuild but also spending the same as outright new. We have the advantage of buying clones which are a bargain.

Last edited: