digidocs

Well Known Member
Does anybody have a cheap or local source for squeezer shim washers? A couple of the vendors stock them, but I hate to pay $7 shipping on a $2 item.

An AN 3/16" light washer is about .032" thick which I think is a bit thick to do fine adjustment.

Thanks,
-DC

Actually .032" is well within rivet tolerance. Also, as you use these washers over time they become thinner.

Shims shouldn't have much effect on dimpling. The dimple is complete when the dies bottom out. just don't over do the pressure when dimpling. You should need very little pressure. I use the pop rivet dimpler on all holes and use about 7-10 psi on the pneumatic puller.

I borrowed one...

Same here.
Sure it costs about $25.00, but well worth it for the time saving.
If you need a an extra couple thou... just dial it in!

...with an adustable set, and didn't like it. While I was riveting a long row of identical rivets, the adjuster turned on it's own....:mad:

I prefer my fixed one with shims. Thick and thin AN960 washers work well, and I only use the thinner shim I have occasionally.... it does help getting the correct "squish" on the smaller -3 rivets.

If you are careful, I bet you could grind down a thin AN washer to half thickness, and you will then have all the shims you need.

...with an adustable set, and didn't like it. While I was riveting a long row of identical rivets, the adjuster turned on it's own....:mad:

I prefer my fixed one with shims. Thick and thin AN960 washers work well, and I only use the thinner shim I have occasionally.... it does help getting the correct "squish" on the smaller -3 rivets.

If you are careful, I bet you could grind down a thin AN washer to half thickness, and you will then have all the shims you need.

Gil, If you learned to work with faster to adjust tools, maybe you could get rid of the "Very Slow Build" designation :D

I ran a line down the side of my adjustable set with a sharpie so I could keep an eye on it because, yes, they move with use.

Ahh...

Gil, If you learned to work with faster to adjust tools, maybe you could get rid of the "Very Slow Build" designation :D

...but the squeezer with shims is still faster for a row of identical rivets than the rivet gun, and it definitely does turn out nicer rivets....:)

I have one of the newer adjustable sets that needs a wrench to turn it. It won't lose the setting, but it's more of a pain to adjust.

I tried shims... too fat, too thin, and they wear out.

Vern

I use AN washers, a thin one, or a thick one, or a combination works just fine.They are cheap, available and easy to set up.

I use AN washers, a thin one, or a thick one, or a combination works just fine.They are cheap, available and easy to set up.
Ditto to what Tom said and just as in my production experience using all manner of hand and pneumatic squeezers, we routinely used thick and/or thin AN960C (steel) washers singly or in combination. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

Adjustable set best way IMHO...I mark the set with a sharpie to verify no movement...but also put a wrap or two of teflon tape on the threads...it works nice to reduce rotation on the set as you work.

I'm with you Gil--I prefer the washers. I know precisely how many (AN960 & 960L) washers I need for each size rivet with the 3.5" and the longeron yoke with my pneumatic squeezer. No cost, no movement, plain and simple. Having used the adjustable set, I'm at a loss why so many rave over it when the washers are so much simpler and allow a "by the number' approach.