prkaye

Well Known Member
I need new brake pads... mine are shown in the photo below. They are the Cleveland brakes that came stock with my -9A kit. I can't seem to find these on Vans site. Can anybody recommend a source for replacements?
Thanks!
2holcsi.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, that's the tool.
Usually new pads come with brass rivets but check to be sure.
I would check your disk for any damage/scraping/gouging. Best to change the pads before any of the rivets make contact.

from the looks of those you may have to replace the rotors also. inspect the rotors, the rivet metal to metal wear will have worn grooves in the disk.

bob burns
N82RB
RV-4

Thanks guys!
inspect the rotors, the rivet metal to metal wear will have worn grooves in the disk.
The rotors still look good... When i run my finger around them they feel smooth, except for a slight feeling of a groove/ridge in a concentric circle around one of the rotors. This is not a deep groove - not visible.
What is the risk of continuing to use the rotor? What is the potential consequence? Reduced braking effectiveness, or could it cause whole pad to break?

Bed the brakes

Phil, taxi around with moderate power while holding partial brakes to help "bed" them to the rotors. Braking will get better after a few uses during taxi and landings.

Most pads nowadays have a small slot on the end that is your brake wear indicator. Take a look at those with a flashlight when you air up the tires and you'll see what remains.

Best,

I have operated an old C-150 with rotors so corroded, grooved and pitted that I would'nt even want them on a boat trailer and they provided normal braking, although they would eat brake pads at twice the normal rate.

Be sure to not cause a brake fire when "bedding in" the new brake pads. On a piston single I would only perform 2 to 3 "aborted takeoff" type braking manuevers from 30-40 MPH to bed in the pads then let the brakes completely cool. On a heavier aircraft ony perform one high speed brake application between cool down periods. I have seen more brake fires from pilots bedding in brakes by riding around the airport dragging the brakes for too long, or to many consecutive "high speed" taxi brake applications than any other cause.

One thing to watch for.... if you pull the pucks out at all, to check O-rings etc.
They can be put in backwards. They will still work... but if you press really hard, the O-ring gets too close to the edge and blows the 5606 out.
You are probably not going to do that with a simple pad change out. But, note it for future reference.