alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Anyone know of a source for countersunk 1-leg platenuts for #8 screws?
I checked spruce and Van's but didn't find them (or at least couldn't find the number).

Because I'm using platenuts for my baggage compartment, I need to use use them not just on the baggage ribs, but also on all the holes that connect the floors to the baggage bulkhead. However, rather than having 8-10 additional screws showing at the bottom of the baggage bulkhead cover, I was thinking that I could use flush screws to hold the baggage floor to the bulkhead (thus allowing the bulkhead cover to sit flat over those screws) and then I could just screw the cover on with the regular (but far fewer in number) round top screws. To do this I think I will need to use 2-4 one-leg countersunk/dimpled platenuts in some locations.

Any suggestions for a source, or what part number they would be? Alternatively, any suggestions on how to attach the floor to the bulkhead more elegantly? Thanks.

What you want is a K2100-08 produced by Alcoa Aerospace. www.alcoa.com

Don't know if they'll sell to you, especially in small quantities, but their sales office in Arlington TX phone number is 817-784-8894.

Another option I've had good luck with is doing a special order through Aircraft Spruce. Fill out their special order form with the info I gave you above, and they'll probably be able to get you some.

PJ

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
Because I'm using platenuts for my baggage compartment, I need to use use them not just on the baggage ribs, but also on all the holes that connect the floors to the baggage bulkhead. However, rather than having 8-10 additional screws showing at the bottom of the baggage bulkhead cover, I was thinking that I could use flush screws to hold the baggage floor to the bulkhead (thus allowing the bulkhead cover to sit flat over those screws) and then I could just screw the cover on with the regular (but far fewer in number) round top screws.

I did the exact same thing to my baggage floor (countersunk screws to attach the floor to the ribs and bulkhead - click here for photos). What you want is MS21053-L08 - I got mine from Van's.

cheers,
mcb

Thanks PJ and Matt. Your's looks really nice Matt. I'm not sure that I want to go through and replace all my K1000's with the countersunk variety because the $$$ and time, but I can see the attraction!

Try Wicks

Don't forget to try Wick's Airplane Parts...they have a lot of hardware and sometimes have things that Spruce doesn't, or at better prices.
Their service is very good!

Van has what you want

When I ordered my dimpled #8 Platenuts I was looking for the two eared variety but when I placed my order through the website catalog I was provided the single ear variety. The catalog did not specify and it was not critical to me so I used what I got.

Bob Axsom

Wicks doesn't list the MS21053-L08 nutplates online. However, I've found that they will often special order items for you. When I built my fuel tanks, my local RV guru told me that none of the certified aircraft companies would ever use standard MS21047-L08 (K1000-8 for you folks who use obsolete part numbers) nut plates.
He explained that it was the use of these nut plates, not the cork gaskets which cause all the grief with sealing the fuel tank access plates. REAL airplanes use special NAS 1473 self sealing nutplates in fuel tanks. He was right, my fuel tanks never leak. I called everyone, but no one I asked had them. You need 24 per aircraft. The lady at Wicks told me she could special order them for me, at $4 each. However, if I ordered 100, the price would drop to $2 each. I arranged a group purchase with the other local RV builders and ordered these from Wicks. I've mentioned these items on the various RV lists over the years. The outcome is that Wicks now stocks these items. See

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_detail.php/pid=6653~subid=2381/index.html

I would also check B&B Aircraft Supply (no web site) call them at 913-884-5930 This is the company that has the awesome variety of hardware at Sun N' Fun every year.

Another company which is a bit more expensive is M&M AeroSpace Hardware. These folks have EVERYTHING when it comes to aircraft hardware. They are setup to deal with aviation companies, but will sell to individuals. They've got stuff you most likely have never heard of, like stainless steel nutplates (use near a compass, near a firewall or in highly corrosive environments) They have 5 locations across the US. See

http://www.mmaero.com/us/index.cfm

FYI, you have to set up an account to purchase from them. Their Miami location takes up an entire city block. If they don't have it, it doesn't exist. You can download an Excel spreadsheet file which lists everything in their monthly inventory. They also discount heavily when purchasing in lots of 100.

Charlie Kuss ;)