PeteP

Well Known Member
Does anyone know of a good source for or have experience with a good inertia reel locking system for shoulder harnesses? Been looking around but have not found anything promising so far.

Pete

Does anyone know of a good source for or have experience with a good inertia reel locking system for shoulder harnesses? Been looking around but have not found anything promising so far.

Pete

Pete,
There are none around for a reason. You can not fit reels into designed structural points. It would require substantial reengineering. A belt and shoulder harness from a reputable supplier would do excellent job. Unless you want to experiment more of course...

I got mine from Amsafe. It required new, shorter cable going to the anchor point so the inertial reel could be hard mounted to the baggage bulkhead. I went to a marine place that makes up sail boat fittings (on Van's advice) for the new cable/fittings and made a slot in the baggage bulkhead. I mounted a piece of angle across the opening and mounted a piece of steel plate to the angle, then mounted the inertial reel to the steel plate. I slotted the hole that the inertial reel attached to the steel plate in order to allow a slight bit of stretch to the cable in case of a crash. I didn't want the fuselage to fail at the bulkhead but rather allow the loads to go where they were designed.

It is important that the inertial reel be solidly mounted so there is no slack when you need the inertial reel to lock.

Please bear in mind, this is NOT a mod that has been analysed by anyone who really knows what they're doing. That said, I REALLY like the inertial reel shoulder harness.:D

All Best

Jeremy Constant

Why?

Why do you think you need an inertia reel? What do you expect to gain from the added cost and effort? I have been completely satisfied with the fixed belt system from VAN's, it is comfortable and I have no issue reaching anything on the instrument panel, including the heater cable on the far passenger side. Have you flown in an RV to check out the standard belt system, if not I would recommend that you do so. My humble recommendation is to forget the inertia reel, keep it simple, keep it light, finish sooner and get in the air. You will not regret it. Good luck.

Why?...

...COMFORT while maintaining the original purpose of the belts...safety. I would second the recommendation to get a ride, possibly multiple with different belts. It was actually on the basis of rides that I decided that I vastly preferred the inertial reel to some of the other choices. For me the worst were the acro harnesses, but I know others who would never give up their acro harnesses. I don't have inverted systems and don't do aerobatics. It's a matter of preference and the type of flying you plan to do. What do you need an airplane for? You don't...it's not about need, it's about want:D We just try to educate ourselves about wanting something that we will continue to want after we have it! If it's about cost and effort we're all on the losing side of that equation when we're building our own airplane.:eek:

All in good humor and cheer

Happy New Year

Jeremy Constant