splevy

I have an NOS AN5814 heated pitot tube that I want to use on my RV-7. The instructions call for an AN786-1 fitting brazed onto the tubes to make connection to the pitot-static system, but I can't find any information on this fitting. Does anyone know of a source or have a cross reference to a newer part number?

Thanks.

Stan

N67SL (reserved)
RV-7A Wings
KCCB

AN786-1

I have an NOS AN5814 heated pitot tube that I want to use on my RV-7. The instructions call for an AN786-1 fitting brazed onto the tubes to make connection to the pitot-static system, but I can't find any information on this fitting. Does anyone know of a source or have a cross reference to a newer part number?

Thanks.

Stan

N67SL (reserved)
RV-7A Wings
KCCB
Stan,
Checked my sources and could not find that AN fitting. You only need it if you are going to hard line it to your static/pitot system. Otherwise you can just clamp an appropriate ID Targon or fuel line hose over the straight SS ends. So little psi if you slip it over the entire length of SS tube exiting the pitot you really don't even need a clamp. Also easier to install/service vs hardline AN fittings. This is also what Van's does. Gil could chime in here and maybe have a source for the AN fitting or have another method of connection that would be more suited/accepted practice.
Mike H 9A/8A Still wiring-will it ever end?

Unique part....

Stan,
Checked my sources and could not find that AN fitting. You only need it if you are going to hard line it to your static/pitot system. Otherwise you can just clamp an appropriate ID Targon or fuel line hose over the straight SS ends. So little psi if you slip it over the entire length of SS tube exiting the pitot you really don't even need a clamp. Also easier to install/service vs hardline AN fittings. This is also what Van's does. Gil could chime in here and maybe have a source for the AN fitting or have another method of connection that would be more suited/accepted practice.
Mike H 9A/8A Still wiring-will it ever end?

Well, I did find the govt. spec.

It is a pretty specific part since the spec. title is "Coupling - Airspeed Tube Union (Brazing)"....:)

It's a brass part designed to slip over the end of a 3/16 tube and be brazed on.

My certified Grumman uses a rubber hose and clamps to a hard line at the pitot, but if you want a brazed fitting, the best may be to use a brass hose adapter...

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_cat.php/subid=252/index.html

252_c.jpg

... and cut the hose nipple bit down and drill it out to slide over the 3/16 tubing. The brazing portion of the AN786 fitting is only 3/8 inch long.

I presume your pitot has copper or brass tubing...

gil A

This is a heated pitot, and the exit tubes are only about an inch long. The concern is the temperature that close may be too high to use any kind of flexible tubing. I recall some previous posts about using several feet of aluminum tubing before transitioning to the plastic tubing due to this heat problem.

Stan