cnpeters

Well Known Member
Where are folks sourcing aluminum sheet, angle, hinges, etc assuming I can't find it locally? It probably is the shipping that kills on this.

Wicks Aircraft

Carl,
Next time you drive to the Belleville/St. Louis area, make a stop at Wicks Aircraft in Highland. Not too far off your path. I'm sure they would have most of what you need. In a previous life I lived 1 block from them. You can also stop at my shop for a cold beverage...

Way gas is going

Aircraftspruce was decent on shipping price. Not cheap but I didn't feel taken advantage of. They also got it out quickly.

I'll give a thumbs up to Aircraft Spruce, if you can get the EAA Visa card, the discount saved me at least the shipping costs. They package everything very well and the cost to ship is not all that bad if you keep a list in the shop and make a big order, you will save in the long run. I have not ordered a whole bunch of metal but several lengths of angle and 2 X 4 sheets to make interior panels for finishing, brackets and such..you really shouldn't need to order too much metal anyhow unless your scratch building.:D

Hi, Don - great tip. I'm actually driving through Sat am on I-55 on my way to Rolla (I see their hours are 8-12am Sat). Won't have time for the beverage Sat :( , but ??Sun on the return. I'll PM my cell to you... .

Carl,
Next time you drive to the Belleville/St. Louis area, make a stop at Wicks Aircraft in Highland. Not too far off your path. I'm sure they would have most of what you need. In a previous life I lived 1 block from them. You can also stop at my shop for a cold beverage...

Hi, Don - great tip. I'm actually driving through Sat am on I-55 on my way to Rolla (I see their hours are 8-12am Sat). Won't have time for the beverage Sat :( , but ??Sun on the return. I'll PM my cell to you... .

Headed to Rolla. I spent 20 years of my life expectancy there over a 4 year period. Live about an hour and a half south of there now.

Another reality check for me - not everyone lives 5 minutes from Aircraft Spruce. :D

Headed to Rolla. I spent 20 years of my life expectancy there over a 4 year period. Live about an hour and a half south of there now.
Ahh, that must be the U of MO - Rolla (famous for "Alice" at St. Pat's day). Know the West Plains area - pretty country for RV flying. In college, had a room-mate Steve Douglas from West Plains (about HS class of '83). Good luck with your building - it's a blast!

Try MetalSupermarkets.com--we have one here locally that's pretty convenient. If you have specific size requirements, they'll cut your order down for you and charge by the weight of the metal. A quick search shows one in (copied from their site) Bedford Park 6750 W. 74th Street Illinois (708) 458-8200 [email protected].