evmeg

I know this has been hashed out a bit but I want some opinions on soundproofing materials. I am building an RV 10 so there is lots of floor/wall/firewall to cover and frankly it adds up to a pretty good chunk of change. The products I started looking at are by E.A.R. composites... www.earsc.com basically a sandwich of closed cell foam with dead soft aluminum and a sticky back surface. I am told that if it is stuck down to the floor it will not trap and hold moisture. It only needs to cover 80% of the surface, so I don't have to try to put it over rivet lines. I have since found another product that is pretty much the same thing only cheaper..but still $52.00 for a 24" x 48". To do the cabin in a 10 I am guessing I will need 12 pieces or so (not including the roof). What are you guys and gals doing in your projects? Vans did nothing in their 10's but I kind of think I will regret not even trying to quiet down the cabin. There is of course a weight penalty...each 24" x 48" sheet weighs in at 2.1#, so it will remove 25# or so from useful load. Worth it? Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance...
Evan Johnson
www.evansaviationproducts.com
(530)247-0375
(530)351-1776 cell

I just flew in the prototype RV-10 at the factory last week (incredible ride!). I noticed that the noise level was deafening, but I was using a lousy headset that was already in the airplane. The way I see it I will ensure I make available a good headset for both myself and my passengers so the sound level won't be so bad.

On the other hand, maybe just putting a little dampening around the firewall and on the floor would make a difference. It's a decision I'm a loooong way from making, but I'd probably go flying with a good headset prior to spending a bunch of money on something I may not need.

Good Luck!

EAA's Sport Aviation

Great article on noise dampining in light planes in Sport Aviation in the last year, year and half. G

SoundEx Products company is offering a soundproofing kit for the RV-10 but at $820 (compared to $375 for the RV-9 and $650 for the C-210) this company seems to be capitalizing on the seemingly price insensitive RV-10 market.