It was neat ... the really sad thing is so few P51's made it this year ... seams since the 90's the number has gotten smaller and smaller.

Different perspective photos

You got good coverage of the area and I'm sure a lot of owners will be doing just like I did trying to find my plane in your photos. Alas, even though I recognized the area I was gone already or hadn't arrived yet. The shots of the runways and taxiways sure brought back memories.

Th P-51 sure is a special plane isn't it. When I was in Radio Maintenance school in the 3rd area of Scott Air Force Base they had F-86Ds in the alert hangars and we liked to watch them in our time off but one day a P-51 (the official designation was F-51 by then) came in with that special engine sound and every one rolled out of the barracks to see what it was. When I was at K-2AB the Koreans were using them (D model) as their fighters (the shooting war was over by then). I climbed in one and one of my buddies took a photo that I still have today. Nearly 50 years later I was flying home from work one night cleared to land on 19R at John Wayne Airport in Santa ana, CA and there stands a P-51D holding short of 19R on Taxiway L. It was so beautiful - like a unique work of art, instantly recognizable. I wanted to say something but it just seemed inapropriate. I cleared the runway as quickly as I could and got in a position where I could watch the departure. Sometimes I think just one is better to see than a whole flock.

Bob Axsom