Kenny Gene

Well Known Member
I'll be turning the BIG 50 next month, I have received several medical cards lately, other then getting my medical current, is there anything thing in FAR that changes with a class III medical at 50?

Kenny Gene

Be ready

There's nothing in the FARs that is triggered specifically by turning 50. Just be ready for high blood pressure, high blood sugar levels, and cardiac, weight, and eyesight issues that go along with the aging process. They will make keeping the medical harder and more troublesome. Some people give up, and some people just go to the light sport category. If you are persistent, and willing to work through the issues with your doctor, you can probably keep the medical for a very long time to come. It's just going to be harder and harder to do.

If you are interested in the specifics of what is ok and what is not ok with regard to the medical certificate, the 2010 Guide for AME's (290 pages) is available for down load from AOPA.

It is in the members only section so it mandates joining AOPA to get to it.

Along those lines....

...as a 64 year old, I wish that I'd started exercising more at 50, ate less junk and kept my weight down. It all seems to center around the 50 year point. I still get a physical every year and an eye exam, and the dreaded "one-finger salute"....really necessary.

A few more pounds to go and we'll drop the blood pressure meds,

Best,

...as a 64 year old, I wish that I'd started exercising more at 50, ate less junk and kept my weight down. It all seems to center around the 50 year point. I still get a physical every year and an eye exam, and the dreaded "one-finger salute"....really necessary.

A few more pounds to go and we'll drop the blood pressure meds,

Best,

I slipped by 71 in February and am doing the tread mill for 30 minutes a day when I can fit it in. It makes a difference in controlling blood pressure, weight, and ones mental attitude in general...exercise, just a little bit of it, makes a difference.