MTBehnke

Well Known Member
A couple of months ago I was debating whether the -9A would be a good training plane for my 18 y.o. son Aaron. Finally decided that as long as he had a decent CFI it should be fine.

Yesterday his CFI said he was ready, but he wanted to wait so mom could take pictures. I was surprised as he only has about 7-8 hours under his belt. The time he spent flying with me over the last couple of years must have helped quite a bit.

I was able to sneak away from work for a bit this morning to watch him solo. First he did three full stop / taxi backs at ANE with his CFI, then they pulled up and his CFI hopped out. Away he went for three more take offs and landings and he did great. After taxiing back up to the base of the tower and climbed out he had the RV-grin going ear to ear.

Pretty cool.

aaron_solo_sm.jpg

Last edited:
Re. Son's solo

Outstanding. It's incentive to move on building my 9A.

Don

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike, congratulations to you and your son.

This is worthy of a photo or two-------

You did take photos didnt you???

There are RV grins. There are post-solo grins. Combining the two seems like it might well be a health hazard!

Next is.....

Next is... "Dad, may I borrow the keys to the plane, please. I have a date tonight!"

Very cool. Congratulation to Aaron and the proud parents.
:eek:

If you didn't notice in my sig line - I've already started a -10. Aaron's also said he wants to build an RV someday as well.

Last edited:
Aaron and Mike,
Congratulations you guys!!! Aaron way to go! That is a great airport to solo at and you did it in a great plane. Many, many happy times will occur as a result of that step. Who is your flight instructor by the way?
Good luck in your flying.
Aaron

Congratulations!

I found the 9A easier than the 172 to land. Also the 10 easier than the F33A Bonanza during my high perf endorsement Wed. RV-10 transition training coming up in Sep. I am so glad I chose an RV instead of a C206, C210, or an exp composite like I was originally.

Aaron and Mike,
Congratulations you guys!!! Aaron way to go! That is a great airport to solo at and you did it in a great plane. Many, many happy times will occur as a result of that step. Who is your flight instructor by the way?
Good luck in your flying.
Aaron

His instructor, Jason Erickson, is based at PNM, but is at ANE every M-W. Pretty soon he's be able to fly up to PNM during the latter part of the week.