First off, I am new to VAF and am an inspiring RV-7A owner. A little background: I am an aviation electrician (AE2) in the Navy and I currently work on the MH-60S helicopter. I have been working on helos for 4 years now so I know my way around avionics and electrical systems in regards to those weird planes with spinning wings on their heads. Through reading some of the threads around here I found out that Pro-Seal is our beloved 8802 potting that is used to seal EVERYTHING on these aircraft, fuel components or not, so I figured I would be nice and give a little back to the VAF community.

Pro-Seal, or more commonly known as 8802 for those of us that wear clothes with things on our collar that establish how big our ego is, is a chemical that smears onto everything and dries to a rubbery like substance that peels off somewhat nicely on smooth surfaces. 8802 takes 24 hours to properly cure in your average 60-70*F environment with low humidity. In my experience I have noticed that the more humid the air is, the longer 8802 takes to cure. When in doubt, tell maintenance control it needs more time and go back to surfing VAF while you wait.

When working with 8802 remember this one tip: it will get on anything you DON'T want 8802 on and it WILL NOT come out of clothes in a reasonable amount of time. Go buy a pair of coveralls and wear shoes (preferrably leather boots) that you dont care about.

Some application tips:

After you have mixed the 8802 squeeze what you need into a ziploc bag and lop off a corner much like a frosting thing that Martha Stewert uses to make pretty things on cakes. This makes it way super duper easier to apply versus using a popsicle stick or any other method. When you are done you just chuck it into the nearest HAZMAT CONTAINER (this stuff isn't enviro healthy) and go about your day.

During application the biggest mistake people make is they wear gloves while applying. What? Don't wear PPE? That is sacrilage! In reality, gloves make application 100x harder and messier because, no matter what, it WILL stick to the glove instead of whatever you are sealing. I use a bare hand with one simple trick, spit. Spit on your fingers and use your fingers to knead the sealant into the desired shape/area, applying more spit as needed. If your fingers become somewhat dry it will start to stick so wipe off excess and spit again. I assure you that you will have a much easier time putting this stuff on.

As far as prepping goes, masking tape (the blue painters tape is best) is your friend when you want to make your line nice and purdy. Lay out the tape and apply the sealant in btween your tape lanes. Once you are done with application, peel the tape up slowly and push down the edges of the sealant because they will pull up a tad bit. Use your spit covered hand to do this.

After you have applied the sealant check to make sure you dont have any smudges of sealant anywhere you don't want it. If there are any areas that got covered stop and let it dry. Once the sealant is dry you can use a razor blade and just pretend its paint and scrape it away. If its on metal it'll come up easily and cleanly.

Getting 8802 off your body is a little different matter. If you got sealant anywhere, immediately run HOT water over the area and use your nails or a green scrubby pad to scrape/rub it off. If you use cold water it will harden some and be a lot tougher to get off.

The funny part is, based on what people said about Pro-Seal, I strongly considered buying QB wings so I could skip the step. You can only imagine how happy I was to find out that Pro-Seal was just good ol 8802 that I work with almost daily. It isn't something you should lose sleep over. With careful planning and setup, application can be easy and painless, especially if you have done it once before. Hopefully these tips help you guys out and take away some of the pre-stress of sealing tanks. Unfortunately I'm moving to Japan for 3 years on Monday or I'd seal anyone's tanks in the greater San Diego area for a beer and burger. Once I return stateside I plan on breaking ground with an emp kit and I'll gladly exchange sealing for rivet trainging.

Great first post!

Jared,

Welcome to VAF. Keep the tips coming. We never stop learning here.

BTW, rumor has it that Van ships to Japan too! Why wait?

Well Ron Im going from a nice apartment with garage to a two room barracks and if I'm lucky I'll get a storage unit on base with enough room for my motorcycle and tools. I told my wife (she's staying behind to finish schooling) today that I feel like I'm going from living in a mansion to a sailboat in terms of storage space. I look at it this way though, I'll come back with enough money to buy tools and an emp kit and possibly wings. My plan is to buy each subassembly after each deployment cycle that way there is enough time to complete each section and buy the next without the worry of money. I'm hoping this all works as planned!

Sounds like a good plan.

Best of luck with your plan. You won't regret taking on this project.

Thank you for your service.

Come on back to San Diego

Jared:

When you're headed back sing out; San Diego has a strong RV community, with a number of -7's to see, builders to talk to, & projects under way.

Speaking of "under way"... I should be flying by then, and would be happy to pick you up at sea. Just ask 'em to point the ship into the wind for a bit...

Jared,
Thank you for both the tip and for your service to our country. Welcome to the forum. We need more men like you.
Carl

Jared,

Welcome to VAF. Keep the tips coming. We never stop learning here.

BTW, rumor has it that Van ships to Japan too! Why wait?

I have seen the two (2) RV-4s kits that have been shipped to Japan back in 1995. Yes I was in Japan and went to visit the school that was putting them together.

Humidity

Living in the desert the low humidity comes into play for many things, even in winter. Right now we are at 50 F and dry at 23% humidity.

Checking the data sheet for one of the sealers we use, the effect of humidity is just the opposite of what is mentioned in the original post.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/09-38500specs.pdf

Since the Mil-Spec only really defines the cured properties, perhaps the 'goop' from different manufacturers acts differently to humidity during the cure cycle.

As always, it is worth getting the data sheet for the specific product you are using.

Living in the desert the low humidity comes into play for many things, even in winter. Right now we are at 50 F and dry at 23% humidity.

Checking the data sheet for one of the sealers we use, the effect of humidity is just the opposite of what is mentioned in the original post.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/09-38500specs.pdf

Since the Mil-Spec only really defines the cured properties, perhaps the 'goop' from different manufacturers acts differently to humidity during the cure cycle.

As always, it is worth getting the data sheet for the specific product you are using.

As usual YMMV. While I was in the gulf this last winter/spring/sumer/and almost fall we had just used 8802 to seal the edge of the tip caps on the rotor blades of an aircraft outta phase. For some reason no one had done the sealing job when the blades were on the ground so they were sealed about 20 hours before the FCF. While standing around the aircraft for troubleshooting purposes we start to get hit in the face with wat we thought was just sand until it was sticking to our goggles. Turns out the 8802 was coming off the tip caps because it didn't cure all the way. Me and many other maintainers have had yesterday's job smear onto our flight deck gear in the gulf, I don't know if it is a combo of extreme heat and humidity or maybe even 8802 doesn't like deployment so it just won't cooperate. :D

Thank's for all the compliments guys, I love working for the Navy and in turn you (well most VAF members) US citizens. I wish we had an OT subforum, I have some neat pictures from our last cruise that show a little of what we do.

We've had "what do you do for a living?" on here. I'd (for one) love for you to share with us. What do you say Doug?

Japan

Jared,

First, Welcome to VAF and thank you for your service to our country.

Second, What Smoky says!! You can have a lot of airplane built in 3 years. You can always find a place to pound rivets.

Third, when my tour in Nam was over, our squadron was sent to Iwakuni, Japan. We were assigned 24hr air support over the captured USS Pueblo off N. Korea. I spent WAY TO MUCH time visiting the local village with my buddies. I did find some time to race MX for a local Kawasaki dealer and shipped my race bike home when I rotated back to the states. It can be done.

However, my point is: Don't waste your time there. Build an airplane. You'll find a way to get the parts home :D

Stay safe and good luck.

Here is a little fun I had with 8802. Its a little messy since someone decided to hold the actuator assembly against their nice new cammies :D

I wish I could start building in Japan. Maybe if I'm lucky there'll be a wall outlet in the storage unit my bike will live in. If that's the case I just might start fabbing after the spring/summer/fall deployment cycle. The only issue will be making a crate for the completed items once its time to move back stateside.