Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Just got this from ThroughTheFence.org

For Immediate Release March 11, 2010

Legislation Introduced In House and Senate to Correct FAA’s Through The Fence Airport Policy

The “Community Airport Access and Protection Act of 2010” was introduced yesterday to Congress by the Honorable Sam Graves (R MO) and Honorable Leonard Boswell (R IA) to correct the FAA’s recent policy to prohibit “through the fence” access at any airport receiving Airport Improvement Grant monies. Senator James Inhofe (R OK) has introduced a similar bill on the Senate side.

The FAA prohibited “through the fence” (TTF) access in its Airport Compliance Manual Order 5190.6b which was released September 30, 2009, without any public or alphabet group input. In addition, a Freedom of Information Act request made by the aviation group ThroughTheFence.org revealed that essential no data, studies, or non FAA personnel’s opinion went into the new order.

The Bill essentially allows off-airport “through the fence” access and prevents the FAA from considering an airport to be in violation of their grant assurances due to such access agreements. The legislation does require the off airport users to pay access charges similar to “on airport” tenants and maintain their properties compatible with safe airport functions.

“Congressmen Graves and Boswell as well as Senator Inhofe deserve tremendous credit for sponsoring legislation which insures access to general aviation airports and supports their economic vitality through TTF fees” stated Brent Blue, coordinator of ThroughTheFence.org. “This correction of FAA policy will help maintain the viability of small airports by encourage use while supporting safety and security” Blue continued.

ThroughTheFence.org is encouraging all pilots and others interested in general aviation to contact their Senators and Representatives to support this important legislation for airports.

For Further Information:
www.throughthefence.org
Brent Blue

It would appear that our efforts have reached a few ears where it counts.

Please contact your reps in Washington and urge them to pass this legislation

Last edited:
Sam Graves is not my congressman, but he is a good friend, a great guy, fellow pilot and building an RV-8 with his buddy Brooks Hurst in Tarkio Mo....

When you hear all the **** from Washington remember there are a few good guys out there trying to do a good job. I talk to Sam regularly and I can't believe the **** he puts up with to be there and represent us....

(There are perks however, he sent me a "sext" message photo from the cockpit of an F-18 last week...... In flight....)

The next time your Congressman is in town go to the meeting, shake their hand and develop a relationship, and thank them for what they do... But most importantly, make sure they know who you are and do not be afraid to call them up and thank them when they do good, and chew their A$$ when they do bad....

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

I'm a TTF operation....

...and my 2 1/2 acres joins the City limits and I taxi onto City property.

So, thanks for the good news Mike,

Doug, next time you speak with either Inhoffe (sp), or Sam, kindly extend my thanks for their somewhat under-appreciated efforts on our behalf,

Thanks,

Until this Real Estate crash, my airport was looking to put in hangarminiums (hangars with condos above them). This would have competely killed that project.

Good job to all those who commented, we will continue ot have an uphill battle against the FAA and TSA. So it is more important than ever to keep fighting the good fight.

Bit more info, again copied from TTF.

We now have reference numbers for the bills in the House and Senate which classify residential and other "through the fence" agreements as compatible adjacent airport land use.

The House Bill is H.R. 4815 sponsored by Representative Sam Graves and Representative Leonard Boswell.

The Senate Bill is H.R. 1586 Amendment #3465 sponsored by Senator James Inhofe and co-sponsored by Senator Ron Wyden.

Please contact your Senators and Representatives to support these bills.

For Further Information:
www.throughthefence.org
Brent Blue
307-220-2543

Bill update.

Again, copied from the Though the Fence folks.

"To All TTF Supporters:

Senator Inhofe's Amendment has been changed. Please note the following.

The Amendment is now #3544 to H.R. 1586 (the TARP bill). This was done because this bill will be voted on quickly where the FAA appropriates bills (where the first amendment was attached) will not be voted on till the summer at the earliest.

The amendment is now co-sponsored by Senators Wyden and Merkley.

Please contact your Senators and Representatives about both this amendment and Representatives Graves and Boswell House bill HR 4815. Also, if anyone has or knows a connection to Senator Rockafeller of West Virginia, it will be crucial to get his support.

Thanks for your help!

Brent"

Thanks in advance for the calls and letters.

That whole "no new agreements" deal drives me crazy.

I can't believe that what's good for one is not good for another.

I'll be sending my comments.

Phil

More info

Todays update from TTF.

http://www.throughthefence.org/

Sounds like the "system" is actually working as it was designed to................

I am always shocked at the revelation from the info gained by the Freedom Of Information Act in this case.

Idea

Until this Real Estate crash, my airport was looking to put in hangarminiums (hangars with condos above them). This would have competely killed that project.

Good job to all those who commented, we will continue ot have an uphill battle against the FAA and TSA. So it is more important than ever to keep fighting the good fight.

hangers with living qtrs... Sounds like a great idea... How about some in ATL?
About time some common sense was used... It's important we all stay in contact with our leaders... Regardless of what we think of them... The ones that show up.... Get to run the boat!

More good, REALLY GOOD news.

Copy/paste from an e-mail, not even on their website yet.

For Immediate Release

February 11, 2011 2030 EST

FAA Reauthorization Bill Includes Residential Through The Fence Protections

Washington, DC?House Transportation Committee leaders today introduced long overdue long term legislation to reform and fund FAA policies and priorities. Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman John L. Mica (R-FL), Aviation Subcommittee Chairman Tom Petri (R-WI) and other members introduce the FAA Reauthorization and Reform Act of 2011 (HR 658).

Included in both the House and Senate versions of this bill is language created by Representative Sam Graves (R-MO) and Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) which forbids the FAA from stating that an airport is ?in violation of a grant assurance?solely because the sponsor enters into an agreement that grants to a person that owns residential real property to adjacent to the airport access to the airfield?.? The section which addresses the RTTF issue is 136 (at the time of this release, the bill is not on line?links will be provided when available).

?This insertion of the RTTF language into the reauthorization bill will hopefully end the FAA?s factually unsupported and misguided attempt to ban residential through the fence activity? stated Brent Blue, organizer of www.throughthefence.org, a website for dissemination of information about this issue.

?We owe a great deal of thanks to Congressman Graves and Senator Wyden for helping stop the FAA illogical stance? Blue continued.

The FAA Reauthorization bill is expected to pass this year after many temporary extensions because most of the controversial provisions have been removed from this year?s language.

#

For Further Information:
Brent Blue
307-690-8002
[email protected]

Update

Copy/paste from TTf message today.

Through The Fence ACTION ALERT

Fellow Pilots:

Our Through The Fence language is in section 137 of the HOUSE version of the FAA Reauthorization Bill. The language is not in the Senate version and will be the subject of Joint Conference Committee negotiations.

We need EVERY PILOT to contact the Senators on the Committee (listed below) to support Section 137 of the House bill concerning Resident Through The Fence access.

If you know any of the Senators personally, PLEASE contact them. This is a crucial moment for rTTF access and will eliminate the FAA absurd prohibition of Residential Through The Fence access.

If you are from one of these states, please contact these Senators even if you do not know them personally. Numbers definitely help.

Thanks for your support.

Brent Blue
www.throughthefence.org

Senate Conferees

Senator Jay Rockefeller, West Virginia

Senator Barbara Boxer, California (916) 448-2787

Senator Bill Nelson, Florida

Senator Maria Cantwell, Washington

Senator Max Baucus, Montana

Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, Texas

Senator John Ensign, Nevada

Senator Jim DeMint, South Carolina

Senator Orrin Hatch, Utah

Last edited:
I sent a letter to Hutchison; feel free to reuse this for any letters you wish to send. I plagiarized a bit from this thread, I hope that is ok.
----------------

Senator Hutchison,

As Senate Conferee for the FAA Reauthorization Bill I ask that you please support the inclusion of section 137 of the House bill in the Senate. The language in section 137 prevents the FAA from banning through-the-fence (TTF) operations at federally funded airports. TTF operations include fly-in communities using public airports and also private airports that have received federal grants. There are a large number of fly-in communities and private airports throughout Texas. The value of the homes attached to these airports is tied directly to available airport access. If the FAA were to ban TTF operations there would be a significant economic impact to those communities and private aviation.

The FAA already prohibited “through the fence” (TTF) access in its Airport Compliance Manual Order 5190.6b which was released September 30, 2009, without any public or stakeholder input. In addition, a Freedom of Information Act request made by the aviation group ThroughTheFence.org revealed that essentially no data, studies, or non FAA personnel’s opinion went into the new order.

Your support is greatly appreciated,

I'm proud to be an Okie and to have people like Jim Inhofe fighting Washington for us. You can bet Inhofe will fight for us, he has an RV8 and doesn't want ANYONE screwing with what we've got. He's really kind of fun to just visit with. He really uses a common sense approach to most things.

Marshall Alexander