BigD

Well Known Member
Following are some test data for cruising at various speeds (RV-10), trying to determine the trade-off between speed and economy. The test is only one set of data, all run at 5,500? solo, but should work as a comparison. I also elected to use 2400 rpm, but noticed during the last two runs (LOP) that RPM made a small difference ? more testing required at other RPMs, perhaps. The numbers for KTAS and FF were used to figure the time and fuel to fly a 500NM leg. Trying to come up with some figure of merit, I decided to multiply the time in minutes times the fuel in gallons for the sample 500 NM trip ? least minutes and least gas is the goal, so lower is better.

2pystbk.jpg

The carson speed (Least wasteful way of wasting fuel) for my airplane is closest to the 110 KIAS entry; comparing the ratio of time reduction to excess fuel relative to max range, I would have to agree, although 130 KIAS is a close second; neither one of which would be my choice for cruise speed ? I?m firmly in the faster is better crowd. Anyway, I?m not a rocket scientist, more data points should be collected, and I?m not making any spectacular claims, but I do know a little more about my airplane, how I?ll use it and why.

==dave==
N102FM

That's a very good table of info. Can you tell us a little about the engine/prop you're using?

Bevan