pierre smith

Well Known Member
My son is a graphic arts graduate and gives me tidbits from time to time.

I wondered how I could get degrees Fahrenheit shown as the little circle, like this 90?. Also the little thingy on some 'e's...like this... "pat?." And then the approx. sign... ?, like this one. Turns out that we have a "Character map" feature that has all these and many more. It's accessed by:

Start/programs/accessories/system tools/character map. You then select the "thingy" you want and copy it. When you reach the point in your post where you want that said 'thingy', you simply paste. voila!!

Comp 101,

My son is a graphic arts graduate and gives me tidbits from time to time.

I wondered how I could get degrees Fahrenheit shown as the little circle, like this 90?. Also the little thingy on some 'e's...like this... "pat?." And then the approx. sign... ?, like this one. Turns out that we have a "Character map" feature that has all these and many more. It's accessed by:

Start/programs/accessories/system tools/character map. You then select the "thingy" you want and copy it. When you reach the point in your post where you want that said 'thingy', you simply paste. voila!!

Comp 101,

degrees?˚? for a mac you can go to edit file, drop down to "special characters", then explore all sorts of stuff

Easier way (on a PC)

Hold down the ALT key and type in 0176 on the numeric keypad. When you release the Alt key a ? will appear on the screen where your cursor was.

If you are looking for the ? symbol, it's 0177. :)

Last edited:
Hold down the ALT key and type in 0176 on the numeric keypad. When you release the Alt key a ? will appear on the screen.

If you are looking for the ? symbol, it's 0177.

In the bottom right of the character map program, it will give you the code to do what DR is showing you. It will save you some time if you know the ASCII code.

Or save yet another keystroke with Unix: compose-oo → °, compose-+- → ±, ... ;)

Last edited:
Not on my computer.

Hold down the ALT key and type in 0176 on the numeric keypad. When you release the Alt key a ? will appear on the screen where your cursor was.

If you are looking for the ? symbol, it's 0177. :)

I tried your method, DR...no joy...doesn't work and I have Windows XP, Media Center edition.

Thanks anyway,

I tried your method, DR...no joy...doesn't work and I have Windows XP, Media Center edition.

Thanks anyway,

Pierre - You must use the numeric keyboard on the right side of the keyboard, not the numbers on the top of the keyboard. On a laptop you must enable your numeric keyboard (normally the letters m, j, k, l, u, i, o, 7, 8, 9) by enabling your NumLk function (on my laptop this is done by holding down the Fn key and pressing the NumLk key once, but this varies from laptop to laptop.)

If you do this be sure to toggle your NumLk function back off by using the same keystrokes as you used to turn it on or you're going to find yourself typing some pretty strange things!

Done properly this will work on all Windows based computers as far as I know and it's a handy shortcut. As you said though the Charmap program is very useful if you can't get this to work, you want to use unusual symbols, or you simply want to look the codes up for common symbols like degrees, trademark, or copyright.

Best,

Last edited:
Hey Dan, like the new avatar.

Now you look like a pilot

The old one made you look like a used car salesman.

Hey Dan, like the new avatar. Now you look like a pilot The old one made you look like a used car salesman.

Ha! Fooled you all these years....that was a pilot picture. However, I will admit "used car dealer flying a blimp" isn't a first guess for most folks ;)

xdbj1w.jpg

91guax.jpg

Last edited:
Blimp Grin???

So, I guess the "Blimp Grin" is just your way of practicing for the RV grin???:D:D

xdbj1w.jpg

use the google

I use "the google" for this. Just ask him to find the symbol in the intertubes and he usually comes back with something I can copy and paste.

? - the plus and minus symbol
? - the degree symbol
? - the superscript 2 symbol
ಠ_ಠ - the disapproval symbol

Yes!

Everyday is a new adventure, isn't it? :D

A farmer wanted me to spray his cotton yesterday and I couldn't believe it! It has maybe one leaf per plant...couple inches tall and the thrips are already sucking the juice out of them! If you like blue jeans, I just defended them yesterday!!:D

Best,