EPG Aero

This thread is about an alternative to the vacuum system.

Yes, there's the all glass instrument panels that a lot of builders are using. But that's quite a bit of money to invest. Plus, there's the need of heavy backup batteries when power goes Tango Uniform.
I like the six pack. I don't want to rely on all electric full panels either. I wanted a series of independent systems that don't interact with each other. If one fails, no problem. I've even heard of the all glass instrument panels just going black. I didn't like my vacuum gauges...never have. Even when i bought them new, I really frowned at having them in the panel.

Last spring after flying the airplane for 1.5 years, I was looking to replace my AI and DG with one of the new EFIS and PFD systems that are produced by several avionics manufacturers. But the one thing I didn't care for was the immense amount of information many of these systems display. Information overload.
I also had two items in dire need of replacement, my Lowrance 2000c GPS (which is no longer supported and can't be updated) and the latest ADS-B out mandate means I needed a new transponder. So while I was replacing these two things, why not replace my vacuum instruments because we all know the pump WILL (not if, but when) eventually fail.

See pics of old instrument panel removed and new one created at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/148189365@N07/30566466961/in/album-72157674442811302/

The search started by looking for a new cost effective, ADS-B out solution. There's some contention amongst some of my aviation friends about the choice I made with this item, but at the time, the research I did only gave me one thing that would suite my needs....a replacement transponder that had the self contained WAAS and GPS internally. I didn't want to spend thousands extra on additional WAAS/GPS systems in order for my transponder to work. Plus, it would fit in the current 'space' I had already created in my instrument panel. The Stratus ESG. I remind you...at the time it seemed the best solution, so I purchased the experimental version. I could install it myself and save even more on labor. (I found out after the fact, that Garmin produces an experimental version of their new ADS-B out transponder).

Next was the PFD or EFIS system. After months of research, my choice came down to either the AvMap EFIS or the GRT Avionics Mini. I was just about to put in my order when I heard Garmin was about to reveal an experimental PFD. So I waited to see their new product.
So why am I so focused on Garmin products? I would say mainly because I have inside knowledge of the quality of the their products. They go beyond normal to make sure their systems will withstand the test of time!
I was really intrigued about the capabilities of their new G5. With one placed in the same 3 1/8 inch instrument panel hole, I could get rid of my vacuum system. But wait, with an additional one, I could use the second one as a navigational RMI/HSI, and use that in my DG space. That was exactly the setup we had in the C-130H3's I flew in the Air National Guard!

More info...
My next decision was for a GPS. I use handheld GPS' and install them into my panel. They're cost effective, easy to remove for updates and work just as well as panel mounted units. My old Lowrance unit worked great that I had installed IN the panel - as seen on the pictures. I like a clean and flat panel because my size 13 shoes tend to challenge me getting in and out of the airplane. Since I had a GDL 39 ADS-B IN antenna for my iPad, I wanted to continue it with a Garmin GPS. I needed one that would fit nicely in our RV panels, communicate with my Digitrak autopilot and work with my other Garmin units...so I chose the Aera 660. I splurged and purchased an AirGizmo to house the 660 instead of creating my own support...due to my last experience of with the Lowrance. Come to find out the Aera has an internal GPS antenna, so I could remove my old one and NOT have to install an external one! The Aera 660 can do almost everything the Garmin Pilot App does too! But, my next issue was how to connect all these components to work with my aircraft power and have them all communicate with each other??

My Garmin contact told me about someone I ought to get in touch with for a 'plug and play' wiring harness. Tim Hass of ApproachFastStack (http://www.approachfaststack.com) told me he could accommodate my needs. I just filled out their form from their website and described what I have and what I'd like them to do. The form requires lengths you have between pieces of equipment, so I had to spend a bit of time figuring that out. Within a day or so after submitting everything, Tim came up with a harness plan and showed me a diagram of what it'll contain. After that, the harness was built and on its way. For a relatively low price I received detailed diagrams, a professionally built harness with all the D-subs assembled and detailed wire labels describing where these need to be connected and what amperages are required. That saved me a TON of research and time...and possibly from a stress heart attack.

I did however have to build a new harness for my transponder to connect to my altitude encoder. Wouldn't you know it, no one avionics manufacturer wants to have the same connections as the next guy!!?? King wire connections were all different! That job actually turned out to be not so bad, as I removed the old one and used it to model my runs and lengths. To build it, I had ordered parts from SteinAir, as they have the quick connections for pitot/static lines and other nice accessories I wanted to add to my panel (i.e. USB charger and switch guards).

Finally, I wanted new lettering for the panel (instead of the rectangle sticker labels I had previously). Those old labels, didn't stick too well as the glue let go from being exposed to extreme temperatures. I ordered new lettering from AeroGraphics in Loveland, CO. I just sent in pdfs of my desires, sizes and colors. I have vinyl N numbers and other labels from them, which even small labels are in the slipstream/weather and have NOT had one issue. Good quality products!

So...was it simply just turning things on and they all work?? Well, unfortunately, due to today's advanced technologies, they also contain a VAST array of menu choices that has to be gone through thoroughly. That was a bit of an issue for me. Because these avionics manufacturers try to create one item that does so much, you have to 'program' your desires. There just isn't a simple manual to help guide you through this portion. So, with the help of my ApproachFastStack guy Tim and Jonathan (the G3expert from Garmin) they were able to tell me what menus to scroll through and what choices I needed to select. This took some trial and error, but I was finally able to get them all sorted out.

What I ended up with is: a new electronic Attitude Indicator (with speed/altitude tapes, heading and turn coordination), a new directional indicator that works also as a navigational tool (HSI or RMI), a new advanced GPS that shows traffic and weather that also provides me course guidance for my Digitrak autopilot and finally a new ADS-B out transponder with WAAS/GPS internally supplied.

No more gyro whirring going on, no more 'mechanical' issues which the old gyros gave me (temporary failures) and all systems working in coordination with each other providing (for my tastes) a fantastic and simple system!!

Last edited:

This thread is about an alternative to the vacuum system.

Yes, there's the all glass instrument panels that a lot of builders are using. But that's quite a bit of money to invest. Plus, there's the need of heavy backup batteries when power goes Tango Uniform.
I like the six pack. I don't want to rely on all electric full panels either. I wanted a series of independent systems that don't interact with each other. If one fails, no problem. I've even heard of the all glass instrument panels just going black.

More description to come about wiring harnesses, time it took and of course costs!
Thanks,
EPG Aero

Looking forward to the details as I am about to do the same panel mod of replacing vacuum system with out gutting entire panel. I am completely in line with your stated opinion on vacuum, glass, and 6 pack. I started a thread a few weeks ago and still weighing the options.
I am also wanting to add an autopilot and many of them have a EFIS like display. Did you consider an autopilot in your upgrade plan?

Last edited:
blehrke,
I use TruTrak altitude hold (Altrak) and their older system, the Digitrak. The two work separately, but the Altrak is just an altitude hold system and the Digitrak allows you to use either course guidance from a GPS or just a heading. They're pretty good systems but the Altrak servo causes some EMF interference in my intercom. That issue I've tried to overcome but have yet to find a solution....other than re-wiring everything. :mad: Their performance is great for the long cross countries. I have a Sport intercom with mp3 player to help with the boredom too.

EPG